Chapter 19: Public Confession

Public Confession

Thomas Debling nods respectfully to Queen Charlotte. His expression was filled with a sense of determination and sincerity. As the dances have not officially started for the night, all the nobles' attention were occupied watching the exchange between the Queen and the Earl of Beverley, whom they just found out that is also the Duke of Northumberland.

All the matchmaking mama's ears were fixed with the royals' conversation as the Queen had bid success on Debling's search for a wife.

"Your Majesty, I must say, I have already found my love amidst the ranks of high society." Thomas Debling declares with his voice being steady and resolute.

"Miss Penelope Featherington holds my heart in her hands, and I am resolved to pursue her affections with all the devotion and sincerity that I possess. I hope to have your blessing in my courtship of Lady Penelope." Lord Debling's gaze was unwavering as he speaks of his feelings for Penelope.

Penelope Featherington stood frozen amidst the swirling sea of silk and satin, her heart pounding in her chest. The announcement of Lord Debling's dual titles had already sent shockwaves through her, but now, as all eyes seemed to turned towards her, she felt a heat rising to her cheeks.

Thomas' declaration of his feelings for her, made so boldly in front of the Queen and the entire assembly, took her completely by surprise. She felt a rush of emotions flood through her; astonishment, disbelief and a flicker of something warmer stirring within her heart.

For a moment, time seemed to stand still as she met Lord Debling's gaze, the weight of his words hanging between them like a delicate thread. In his eyes, she saw sincerity and a hint of vulnerability, a side of him she had never glimpsed before.

The Queen, ever observant, regarded the scene before her with keen interest. The courtiers around them whispered and exchanged knowing glances, adding to the tension that cracked in the air. Penelope's mind raced as she grappled with the enormity of what had just transpired. Lord Debling had long stated to her his intentions, but she never dared to hope that he will announce it in such a public and unexpected manner.

"Penelope Featherington?" Queen Charlotte's interest was piqued by Lord Debling's unexpected revelation. "The girl who carries the season's emerald? A most intriguing choice indeed." She studies Debling with a discerning gaze, silently assessing the sincerity of his words. Her Majesty had known Thomas since he was young. She knew that the man had a unique yet impeccable taste. And his determination and perseverance in all things would never fall short. Charlotte knew that the duke is a romantic and believes in love, never to cave in for a marriage of convenience. Seeing that the person he had fallen for is a lady who gained her interest as well, the Queen can only give her blessing and approval.

"If you have truly found love in the form of Miss Featherington, Duke Thomas Debling, then I wish you both every happiness. Love is a rare and precious gift, and it is not often that one finds such a connection in the complexities of high society. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors to win Miss Featherington's hand in marriage. May your courtship be marked by sincerity and devotion, and may Miss Featherington come to recognize the depth of your affection for her." Queen Charlotte's words were delivered with a tone of genuine well-wishing, coupled with a subtle undercurrent of expectation. As a member of the royal family, she understands the importance of alliances and the significance of a noble marriage.

With a gracious nod, she offers Lord Debling her best wishes for his future happiness before turning her attention back to the festivities unfolding around them.