Chapter 22: A Brawl

A Brawl

On the second day of the retreat, all the noble men invited as guests arrived at Kew Palace. It was deliberately arranged by the Queen's party that the ladies of the ton should arrive a day early, so to have a private ladies' soiree on the first evening.

The esteemed Bridgerton sons arrived together by their carriage with the exception of the Viscount, Anthony Bridgerton, as he remained to stay at the Bridgerton House, to help her new viscountess in taking care of his younger siblings who were too young to attend the royal gathering. Colin and Benedict went straight ahead to greet Violet and Eloise who were just outside the foyer waiting on them. The two men were quick to give their mother a kiss on her cheek as they greet her for their arrival.

"Hello, mother. Your beauty and radiance sure are blinding." Benedict says towards the Bridgerton matriarch which irks his sister to annoyance.

"Ugh. Must you show our mother how terrible a flirt you are?" Eloise rolls her eyes at the sight of her two older brothers.

"Good morning to you too, dear sister." Benedict just playfully responds.

Most of the days, the Bridgerton sons' arrival hoards the attention of the ladies in any event they attend to, however at that bright morning in the royal residence of Kew palace, the tides of fame seem to switch to another individual being.

A luxurious carriage stops at the carriageway of the royal estate. As Duke Thomas Debling stepped down from the carriage, the grandeur of his presence immediately captivated the attention of all who beheld him. Dressed impeccably in the finest regal attire, he exuded an air of aristocratic elegance and refinement that commanded respect and admiration worthy of his title. Even while known only as the Earl of Beverley, he had already taken the nobility's attention as a handsome, well-mannered and charming gentleman. But as the ton knows of his true lineage, they could never deny the charisma, the confidence and the masculinity Debling exudes that are worthy from that of a relative of the reigning king.

His coat of arms, proudly displayed upon his carriage and emblazoned upon his attire, depicted the duchy's flag surrounded by a majestic lion and a resolute took, both sporting the flags of their allegiance. It was a symbol of his noble lineage and unwavering loyalty to crown and country.

Thomas made his way towards the direction for the inner palace, his every movement displayed his manly confidence and grace, drawing the eyes of not just all the ladies present, but the envious looks of the other bachelors as well. His noble form was a testament to his status as one of the most esteemed and eligible bachelors of the ton, a man of wealth, power and influence, which makes him an explosive threat against other men looking to snag a match this season.

With a polite nod and a charming smile, Duke Debling acknowledged the admiring glances of the ladies, his gaze lingering briefly on each one as he made his way through the crowd until he spotted the person of his destination – Miss Penelope Featherington who, at that time was accompanied by Lady Agatha Danbury.

He approached the two with measured steps, giving a respectful nod to Lady Danbury and a warm smile for Penelope, the noble lady he was courting with.

"Good day, Lady Danbury, Miss Featherington." Thomas greets the two with a courteous bow. His voice was smooth and composed, almost music to the ladies' ears. "It is a pleasure to see you both in such fine spirits."

Lady Danbury, serving as an aide for the Queen's hospitality, return Duke Debling's greeting with a gracious smile. "Good day, your Grace. We are delighted to see you join the ton here at Kew Palace." Agatha acknowledges the man's station with her tone warm and welcoming.