Chapter 12: Realization

Realization

Merely just three days had passed since Colin had given Penelope Featherington their first lesson on courtship. He was not able to make another visit as the household across the street have been busy the past days.

Same goes at their Bridgerton house. Though it is still early as the first month of the season, the esteemed Bridgerton family had decided to hold a ball, more than premature as when they annually do so. Mainly, because of the new Viscountess, Kate Sharma Bridgerton. The new lady of the house had just married into the family last season, and she wanted not to disappoint the society when she takes the household affairs into her own hands. After all, there is a high expectation precedent from the works of her predecessor, Anthony's very own mother, Violet Bridgerton. Kate figured, if she were unable to successfully uphold a grand ball befitting from the Bridgerton name, she could at least attempt to hold a second one at a later time of the year just to maintain status. And hence, the early timetable for their family ball.

Colin, the third Bridgerton son, was not safe from doing his tasks to ensure help for the new Viscountess' ball. His presence, along with all of his other siblings were required by their older brother Anthony, to show support for Kate's efforts. The Viscount Bridgerton ordered every member of the family to be in attendance at tonight's ball without any room for excuses.

"You all right, brother?" Benedict asks his younger sibling as he takes a seat beside him. They are currently in the living room and he saw his dear brother taking a good sip from a newly opened bottle of whiskey.

"Do I look I'm not?" Colin questioned Benedict.

The second born son looked at him observingly, figuring out what Colin's thoughts might be on mind. After silently guessing, Benedict smiles to himself then pours himself a shot of alcohol to drink.

"I have a guess. Would your long face be something in relation to our dear good friend from the Featheringtons?" A mischievous smile forms on Benedict's lips as he gulps down the alcohol.

Hitting a nerve, Colin drinks down a shot of his own before answering Benedict's question, being oblivious to his older brother's teasing.

"I have gone to their house days ago, brother. You know, to give the lessons I promised Lady Featherington. In hope for their forgiveness." Colin's voice was croaking, not sure if it was from the alcohol or from the man's own mood itself.

Benedict just patiently waits for his brother. He knew it would be better to let Colin continue despite his pauses rather than interrupt him at all. After all, he can see an inkling of sadness on Colin's eyes. A very rare sight from his brother, since the last time he saw Colin in this way was when his engagement with Miss Marina Thompson got cancelled.

"I have learned there's a suitor that holds Pen's interest."

"That is great news, is it not? It is high time for Miss Featherington to consider getting married." There was no response on Colin's end as Benedict said those words. And so, he continued, "But why do I see some sorrow in your eyes, brother?"

"I do?" Colin exhaled deeply as he refused to believe his brother's observation. "I do not know Ben.. I might have been feeling regretful. What if Pen does not forgive me before she gets married? What if that Earl of who knows where, takes her to the country before I can even make amends of our friendship?"

Benedict was awfully quiet from Colin's divulgence. Their third Bridgerton is not one to easily show his vulnerability. Before Benedict can say anything to console the man, Violet's voice echoed on their ears almost hounding the whole room.