Chapter 25: The Long-Awaited Response

Since Thomas Debling had been prohibited in attending any and all gatherings for yesterday and the night before, the Duke of Northumberland spent most of his time just inside the four corners of his room, as he tries to heal the bruise formed on his face from his fistfight with Lord Fife. On the third day, he could already feel the boredom building up on his core as he feels so unproductive. But since the activity for the gentlemen today is a hunting competition, he opted not to join. Thomas is a person who acutely empathizes with animals. He does not have the heart to join and take the lives of the preys sacrificed for the event. Additionally, news of the brawl are still vivid among the other nobles invited at the Kew Palace, so he decided to limit his public appearance for now, trying to appease the Queen and not put himself into scrutiny. And so, Thomas decided to proceed with Penelope's suggestion to kill time. He grabs the book that the young Featherington lent him and finds a spot to take his reading.

As Duke Debling made his way to the palace library, he could not help but feel a sense of anticipation. The grandeur of the surroundings, the hushed whispers of history echoing through the rows of ancient tomes – it was a sanctuary he had not indulge himself in far too long.

With a gentle push, the heavy oak doors of the library swung open, revealing a haven of knowledge and tranquility. Debling took a moment to savor the sight, the familiar scent of leather-bound books and aged parchment washing over him like a comforting embrace. Just like his beloved, he has a deep interest in reading books to increase his knowledge. He was not able to complete his studies in the university as he had to return to Northumberland to assume his ducal duties at the young age of six and ten. And so, he widened his knowledge with the help of his private teacher and the extensive collection of books in their estate's library.

Finding a cozy nook by the window, Debling settled into a plush armchair, the Castle Rackrent book cradled in his hands. As he flipped through the pages, he felt himself being transported to another world – a world of crumbling castles, noble intrigue, and the timeless allure of Ireland's countryside.

Lost in the pages of the book, Debling allowed himself to forget the worries of high society, immersing himself in the rich tapestry of storytelling woven by Penelope Featherington's chosen tome. For a brief moment, the weight of his responsibilities as a duke and an earl melted away, leaving only the simple pleasure of a good read.

As he reached the midsection of the book, his attention was caught by something unexpected – a handwritten letter nestled between the pages. With a sense of curiosity mingled with surprise, he carefully extracted the letter and unfolded it, his eyes scanning the elegant script upon the page.

The words penned by Penelope, in response to his marriage proposal leapt out at him, each line imbued with her grace and sincerity. Duke Debling's heart raced as he read the handwritten letter tucked within the pages of the book Penelope had lent him. His pulse quickened with each word, his breath catching in his throat as he absorbed the contents of her response to his marriage proposal.

With a mix of anticipation and trepidation, he tucked the letter into the breast pocket of his coat, feeling the weight of its significance pressing against his chest. Without a moment's hesitation, he rose from his seat in the palace library, his mind ablaze with determination as he set out in search of Penelope.

His steps quickened as he navigated the winding corridors of the palace, the urgency of his mission driving him forward. He had to find her, had to speak to her, to convey the depth of his feelings and the sincerity of his intentions.

At the Royal Gardens

As the gentle breeze swept through the royal gardens, the ladies gathered for the outdoor tea party under the watchful eye of Queen Charlotte. Penelope Featherington, radiant in a gown of pale green silk, sat amongst her companions, her laughter mingling with the fragrant scent of blooming flowers.