Chapter 15: An Invitation and A Letter

An Invitation and A Letter

It has already been nine in the morning and yet, Penelope Featherington seems not to be able to get up from her bed. Two days had passed since the night of the Bridgerton ball, and everything that has occurred was all surreal for the ginger head. Lord Debling's courtship had become official as the man had formally asked Lady Featherington's permission, at the ball and yesterday at the comfort of their estate.

There was nothing else she could ask for, having an earl come calling for her and professing his eventual plans of marrying her, is something she had never thought to have experience of. But of course, Penelope was so delighted by the idea and so is her mother, Lady Portia Featherington.

The Lady Whistledown alter ego feels so happy with the progress of her husband search this season, she truly is. However, there was still the matter about her childhood first love, Colin Bridgerton. The third Bridgerton had expressed his annoyance when she shared to him the news of Lord Debling's courtship. Which made Penelope think it strange for the man to have that kind of reaction. She has put a stop on Colin's advances and efforts in making amends of their friendship, saying that she will put last year's humiliation behind. Penelope knew it would be best not to encounter the Bridgerton boy as she needs to turn her focus and attention to Thomas Debling. She needs no necessary distraction if she so wants to develop Debling as a marriage partner.

But as it turns out, Colin had different plans as to disturb her peace even after being "forgiven". The Featherington butler had handed the youngest Featherington daughter a letter after the post was delivered yesterday. The envelope has a red tree seal that secures its fold. A familiar seal that Briarly had been used to seeing for the past year. It was from no other but the third son living at the estate across the street, Colin Bridgerton.

It took a while before Penelope Featherington found the resolve to read the letter last night. For the past months, she never attempted nor dared to open any of the letters Colin had sent while overseas. She had instructed Briarly to burn them as soon as anything arrived with the sender's name as Colin Bridgerton. Though the old butler never handed her any, he had told the young lady of their existence and asked twice before finally leaving them to burn and become ashes on the fireplace.

She took her seat at her writing desk as she gently unfolds the piece of paper that has Colin's handwriting.

-x-

My Dearest Penelope,

I trust this letter finds thee, amidst the hustle and bustle of thy daily affairs. As I set quill to parchment, I find myself grappling with emotions I just realized concealed within the depths of my heart.

It is with a heavy heart and a humble spirit that I pen these words, for there is a matter of great importance that weighs upon my conscience.

This past year, I have erred gravely in my treatment of thee. Foolishly, I allowed pride and folly to cloud my judgment, speaking words that I now bitterly regret. When in the company of my peers, I may have uttered sentiments that suggested I would never entertain the notion of courting your hand. Oh, how I rue the folly of my immaturity, for it hath led me astray from the path of true happiness.

In your presence, I find solace and serenity. Your letters, a respite from the cares of the world. Your smile, like the sweet melody of a lark at dawn, brings joy to my weary heart, and your shared interest of my travels, hath warmed the coldest recesses of my being.

Now I cannot deny the truth that started to burn within me like a flame, for I have discerned I am deeply enamored with thee, Penelope. With every passing day, my longing for thee grows stronger, until it consumes my very being with an intensity that cannot be quelled.