Chapter 5: Danbury Ball

Danbury Ball

Featherington House

All servants had been eagerly busy the whole day at the Featheringtons. For happening today is one of the most anticipated balls of the season, hosted by Lady Agatha Danbury. The senior matron does not normally host a ball this early of the year, however, since she had been helping a certain man meet a good match, she decided to up on her schedule.

"Are the girls ready?" Portia asks their housekeeper Mrs. Varley. The Baroness was not able to monitor her daughters' preparation in person as she was busy on her own. She trusts that her old maid was able to ensure that all of her girls are dressed well to attract suitors.

"Yes, my lady. The young misses are all dressed up."

"Very well, call them down."

The housekeeper brought along some maids upstairs as they knock and call on Prudence's and Penelope's rooms. The eldest Featherington daughter quickly joined her mother who was impatiently waiting at the drawing room.

Portia scans Prudence as the latter turns around for the former to see her over all look. The mother was not totally impressed but gave her daughter's look an approval. After all, it was the pink color she picked at Madame Delacroix' boutique the other day.

"Where is your sister? Has she not known what time it is?"

As if Lady Featherington's voice was magnetic, Penelope Featherington came at the door just after her mother asked for her.

"I am here, mama."

Both Prudence and Portia's jaws opened wide as they saw Penelope's appearance. Her dress does not have the yellow or the pink color that their family is weirdly known for. Instead, the youngest miss has worn the baby blue dress she had fitted with Delacroix the other day. The silver linings on its pattern have been gleaming across the room. The skirt is embracing the curves of her waist making the lady look more elegant and attractive. She wears a set of emerald necklace and earrings complimenting the color of her dress. Though her silky thin gloves covers both of her arms, her porcelain white skin can still be seen through its sheerness. Penelope had also gotten rid of their usual curls as she had her hair half up and half down, having her locks flow down to her shoulders. It was a simple style with only an embedded butterfly pin that ornaments her hair.

"Are we to leave now, mama?" Penelope asks her mother as there were a lack of words coming from both her mother and her sister. Suddenly, Portia came back to her senses as she sees the confused expression on her youngest.

The Baroness could not believe how elegant and beautiful her Penelope is looking right now. She had always thought that the colors pink and yellow are the ones to bring up all of her daughters' appeal. But seeing Penelope on a light baby blue fabric makes her question all of her choices. She then realized how highly possible it would be for her daughter to gain a suitor this season.

"Is she allowed to wear that, mama?" Prudence angrily asks her mother. It was obvious that her younger sister had truly outdone her appearance by a lot and the former feels envious with how pretty Penelope looks tonight.

Portia just gives her eldest a disappointing look and sighs deeply. She understands how jealous Prudence is right now. Over these last seasons, the Baroness had prioritized more of her efforts into ushering Prudence and Philippa for a marriage. Thank heavens, Philippa had already been wed to Albion Finch last season, but Portia is still left with two unwed daughters. Seeing how her youngest had drastically change for this season, Portia knew that Penelope will soon bloom at the ton with suitors at hand. An eventual fact that Prudence would have to bear.