Chapter 20: The Aftermath

The Aftermath

On one of the corners of the palace halls, all members of the Bridgerton family can be seen gathered. They were also accompanied by the first daughter Daphne Basset, who is now the Duchess of Hastings. Despite being the center of attention most of the time, the esteemed members of the Viscount were relatively quiet at the time. At least three members of the renowned family could not react enough with the surprising turn of events.

Violet Bridgerton was equally happy to hear Lord Debling, or Duke Debling rather publicly profess his feelings to Penelope Featherington for all to hear. From their last tea party at Lady Danbury's residence, she knew the doubts Penelope has when it comes to Thomas. The Bridgerton matriarch knew that Debling's announcement would push the confidence and self-esteem of the redhead girl. How can it not be? The high-ranking Duke just made the young Featherington seem to be the most desirable woman in all of London. Silently, she congratulates Penelope as she smilingly watches her dance with Thomas Debling on a romantic display of Waltz.

As Eloise watches Penelope dance with Lord Debling from across the ballroom, a pang of sadness washes over her. Memories of their once-close friendship floods her mind, and she can't help but feel a sense of longing for the bond they once shared. Seeing Penelope Featherington, her best friend since childhood, on to the path of marriage fills Eloise with a mixture of emotions. She knows she should be happy for Penelope as she had finally turned from a wallflower to a lady in full bloom, but also a deep sense of loss and fear. The thought of Penelope moving to the countryside after marrying Lord Debling fills her with a sense of dread, knowing that their chances of reconciling and rebuilding their friendship would become even slimmer.

In the midst of these swirling emotions, Eloise realizes just how much she misses the redhead and how much she regrets the argument that drove them apart. She yearns for the chance to mend their friendship, to bridge the gap that has formed between them and to once again share in the laughter and camaraderie they once enjoyed. With those thoughts in mind, the brunette makes a silent vow to herself to reach out to Penelope. She knows that true friendship is a precious gift, one worth fighting for, and she refuses to let go her one and only friend without a fight.

Whilst the two Bridgerton ladies were somehow happy for Penelope, there was a wave of anguish that washes over the third son, Colin Bridgerton. Colin could not help but feel a sense of defeat as he witnesses the affection between Penelope and Lord Debling blossoming before his eyes.

Regret fills Colin's mind as he reflects on his past actions and the opportunities he missed to truly appreciate and cherish Penelope Featherington. He realizes, now too late, the depth of his feelings for her and the gravity of his mistake in taking her for granted.

Seeing Penelope in the arms of another man, a man of higher social standing and greater wealth, only serves to magnify Colin's sense of inadequacy and despair. He knows that he can never offer Penelope the same level of security and status that Thomas Debling can, and it breaks the third Bridgerton's heart to see her slip further and further away from him.

In that moment of despair, Colin wishes he could turn back time and undo the mistakes of the past. He longs to tell Penelope how much she truly means to him, to show her the depth of his love and regret for not realizing it sooner. But he knows that it is too late, that the chance for love and happiness with Penelope has slipped through his fingers, leaving nothing but heartache and regret in its wake.

At the middle of the dance floor