Chapter 9: Unexpected Tutor

Unexpected Tutor

Just as the Featherington ladies have finished their meal for lunch, another unannounced visitor had come knocking on their doors.

Briarly took it to himself to see who the caller is, and was not surprised to see Colin Bridgerton at his employ's footsteps.

"Is Miss Featherington in?" Colin asks the old butler.

Knowing that the man had been close with one of the household misses, Briarly lets him in and leads him to the main room. The butler then went to the dining hall, to inform his mistress on who the visitor was.

"Mister Bridgerton is here for the young miss, madam. He is on the wait at the main room." Briarly informs the dowager of Colin's arrival.

"Just what does he think he is doing here?!" Penelope thought to herself almost swearing to herself. She had a very good start for her day but now having the person who broke her heart makes everything melt down. Penelope could only blame her negligence as she forgot to give instructions to their servants not to let Colin Bridgerton in to their home.

Portia Featherington, followed by her daughters then went to the main room to see their unexpected neighbor. Her eyebrows arched as she asks the Bridgerton boy the reason of his presence.

"Mister Bridgerton, to what do we owe this visit?" There was a hint of sourness on the voice of the baroness, in which Colin could only accept humbly. He knew it was valid for them to make him feel he was unwelcome at their estate.

"Lady Featherington. I greet you a good afternoon. I-I.. I am here to express my apologies." Colin Bridgerton tried all his might not to stutter as he explains his presence in front of the notorious dowager. He could feel the eyes of Penelope's mother judging him to his core as she stares at him with narrowed eyes.

"Explain."

Colin offers to hand over the flowers he had brought to Penelope. But it was the latter's maid who received them on behalf of the young miss. Penelope just subtly took a glance of it and noticed that they were white Lilies of the Valley. The ginger-haired lady wondered if Colin intended those flowers for its meaning.

"It has come to my realization that I may have been irresponsible of the words my mouth has delivered about Penelope last year." Colin took a big gulp as he tried to admit his mistake in a way he could describe it lighter. As he recalled his own words, he quickly regretted to address Penelope by her Christian name. He could feel the intense gaze coming from Portia and Penelope as they try to control their annoyance on him. Prudence, who were also present could not care less as she takes a seat on one of the sofas not giving a damn on what is just going on.

"Harsh and malicious, you mean?" Portia worded the young man correctly. Penelope, who was just a step back from the dowager baroness, could not believe how her mother handles the scene right now.

Never had she imagined that her mama can confront a Bridgerton strikingly with eloquence. She had known that Portia have always admired the Bridgertons' status and had dreamed that one of them sisters were able to marry one of their sons. Penelope is surprised that her mama can stand with commanding presence in front of a member of that affluent family.

The man in question could only feel cold sweat running through the back of his neck. He thought of running away as he could not find any words to refute Lady Featherington's statement. Colin then finds himself trying to adjust the knot of his cravat getting some air. He could feel the tension rising up in the entire room. He had been at this household for numerous times before but never had he felt suffocated, more so in front of his dear friend Penelope.