Chapter 28: Bonding with the Mother-in-law

Bonding with the Mother-in-law

As Jocasta and Penelope stepped into Madame Genevieve Delacroix's elegant shop, they were enveloped in an atmosphere of elegance and refinement. The scent of freshly cut fabrics and the soft glow of chandeliers cast a sense of enchantment over the space.

Madame Delacroix herself greeted them with a warm smile, her eyes sparkling with excitement at the prospect of assisting the redhead for a dress.

"Mademoiselle Penelope!" Madame Delacroix exclaimed, her French accent lacing her words with charm. "And who is this lovely lady accompanying you?"

"Madame Delacroix, it's a pleasure to see you again." Penelope said with a smile, her voice filled with warmth. "Allow me to introduce Lady Jocasta Debling, the dowager Duchess of Northumberland and Countess of Beverley.. And erm.. my future mother-in-law."

Jocasta inclined her head graciously in greeting, her presence commanding respect and admiration. "A pleasure to meet you, Madame. I've heard so much about your exquisite designs." She said, her voice tinged with elegance.

Genevieve returned the greeting with a gracious smile and curtsy to the dowager duchess, her eyes twinkling with curiosity. "The pleasure is mine, Lady Debling. And congratulations to you both on the upcoming nuptials. How may I assist you?" She replied with her tone polite.

Penelope's features swelled with excitement as she turned to Madame Delacroix, her eyes shining with anticipation. "We're here to choose fabrics and design my wedding dress. I'm to be married to the Duke of Northumberland."

Madam Delacroix' eyes widened with delight at the news, her excitement matching Penelope's own. "How wonderful!" She exclaimed. "I would be honored to assist you in creating the perfect gown for your special day Mademoiselle Penelope."

With a graceful gesture, Madame Delacroix led Jocasta and Penelope to a luxurious seating area adorned with plush cushions and delicate lace curtains. As they settled in, she brought out a selection of sumptuous fabrics and intricate lace samples, laying them out before them with care.

"Please, allow me to present to you some of the finest fabrics available," Madame Delacroix said, her voice filled with pride. "I have carefully curated a selection that I believe will be perfect for your wedding gown, Miss Penelope."

Penelope's eyes widened with wonder as she examined the array of fabrics before her. Silks, satins, and chiffons in every shade imaginable shimmered in the soft light of the shop, each more exquisite than the last.

With Madame Delacroix's expert guidance, Penelope began to envision the perfect design for her wedding gown, incorporating elements of elegance and sophistication that would complement her beauty and grace.

As they worked together to bring Penelope's vision to life, the atmosphere in the shop buzzed with excitement and creativity. And as the hours passed, Jocasta and Penelope found themselves exhausted after their stop on the florist to pick on the blossoms to be used on the wedding day. The two ladies then decided to drop by a tea shop as a final stop on their outing.

As Jocasta and Penelope settled into a cozy tea shop, the atmosphere was one of warmth and camaraderie. Seated across from each other, they indulged in delicate pastries and fragrant tea, the perfect setting for a heartfelt conversation.

Jocasta Debling regarded Penelope with genuine interest, her eyes sparkling with curiosity as she sought to learn more about her future daughter-in-law.

"Penelope, my dear." Jocasta began, her voice gentle. "I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions. I am eager to know you better."

The young Featherington smiled warmly, her eyes meeting with Jocasta's openness and sincerity. "Of course, Jocasta." She replied with a polite tone. "I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have."