Chapter 10: A Suitor's Gift

A Suitor's Gift

As soon as she enters her bedchambers, Penelope Featherington felt both of her knees gave in. She had to lean back on a dresser to make sure she does not fall.

Penelope closed her eyes and took a deep breath as she re-composes herself and gathers the strength needed to make her way to her bed. She lies down on her side, grabbing a pillow to curl up. The ginger-haired lady felt she is to have a headache as she could feel her pulse throbs at her temples. Her body could not take all that has happened today. It seems like her insides are no longer accustomed to the London air as she felt her breathing become restricted ever since their return in town from the country.

Penelope thought of Cornwall. She instantly remembered her Aunt Virginia. The young Featherington wondered how her benefactor fares right now. Aunt Virginia taught her how to be more confident, strong and how to love herself more. The old widow was instrumental on giving her the courage, the strength and the means to return back to London with pride.

Now that her family was able to settle all their debts, the Featheringtons no longer have to worry about rumors surrounding their family. Penelope tried to look back at all the memories from recent happenings.

Hearing newfound compliments from the ton towards her and having been able to dance so many songs with potential suitors, was a feat Penelope can only dream of. But what was totally unexpected was the Queen's announcement of her being a jewel of the season. Her, Penelope Featherington, an insipid wallflower; becoming the emerald of the ton. Penelope turns as she lets her back lie flat on her bed.

How could she, of all people, become the season's jewel? Her Majesty had not named anyone for the coveted diamond of the first water title, making the young Featherington upped her place on the list of most promising marriage-partners to be, as she holds the Queen's favor.

"Is that why Lord Debling took some interest in me?" Penelope questions herself as her stare goes to the ceiling of her room. She knew that the Queen's favor was to thank for having some of the suitors take notice on her. But Penelope Featherington was not sure if it was the same for the Earl of Beverley.

Seeing him up close and having conversed with the man, she felt he is quite different among the men of the ton. His personality and interests were far opposite from the Bridgerton brothers she had known for years. Penelope finds Thomas Debling a mystery she would like to unfold.

And then there was Colin. Her childhood love, Colin Bridgerton. Penelope Featherington promised herself that she will no longer hold on to her feelings for the Bridgerton boy. She had already accepted the fact that she is no more than just a friend and a sister to Eloise's brother. But even as a friend, she could no longer treat him as such. After what the man said in front of Lord Fife and his friends, Colin had lost her trust.

Penelope tries to avoid seeing Colin as much as she could. With her falling out with her best friend Eloise, that gave the ginger head a breather and limited the chances of her seeing the man who broke her heart. But she never expected the man would come to look for her after refraining to have any communication with him these last six months.

Her heart aches whenever she hears the mention of the name Colin, more so when she sees his face. Penelope could not erase from her mind the Bridgerton boy's speech at her mama's ball last year. And so, she plans to continue to take her distance away from the Bridgertons, hoping that his lack of presence will help her resolve. But how can she even imagine to do that now?

Colin keeps on acting friends with her, despite her expressing her disappointment in him. He even had the gall to show up on their estate bringing flowers as if the act could return back time and retract his words to Fife. Penelope Featherington could not help but regret accepting Colin's offer of lessons in courtship.