Chapter 3: Cowper's Ball

Cowper's Ball

As it is the first aristocratic ball for the season, almost all members of the ton have gathered on the Cowpers' estate. The lord fathers gathering to discuss business ventures with fellow old men, noble wives flaunting off their riches and gossips, young eligible bachelors of the ton and lastly, the high noble mamas who would never miss a chance to present their unmarried debutantes for the prospect of getting suitors.

And among this group would be Violet Bridgerton who have come to chaperone her daughters and her unmarried sons. Her sons, the Viscount Bridgerton, Benedict and Colin are in attendance tagging along their sisters Eloise and Francesca. It is Eloise's second season and though it was evident from her that she does not want to be married and welcomes the idea of becoming a spinster, her mother is still hoping for her to get a match. Whilst for Francesca, who is debuting into society today, she has embraced the idea of courtship and marriage. Though Franny was not selected as the diamond of the first water, much to her mother's dismay, it was obvious that out of all the new debutantes this season, she has the sweetest and most promising appeal. Even the Lord Chamberlain was captivated by Franny's entrance earlier today at the Queen's palace.

Upon arriving, the Bridgerton ladies took their dance cards from the table at the entrance and slipped them onto their wrists. Colin, standing behind Eloise scanned the cards at the table and noticed that the Featherington cards are still placed there.

"Good." He thought to himself. He could easily find his friend Penelope just by looking at the entrance when they will be announced by the Master of Ceremonies.

As the Bridgertons settles on one side of the wall, several young men had started to flock around them asking for a spot in Franny's dance card. However, with a deadly glare from the Viscount Bridgerton, only two young men were able to successfully approach the first-time debutante. Lady Cowper, together with her daughter Cressida came to join the Bridgertons on the area. Violet and Anthony have praised how beautiful the place is, being just courteous at the host of the party.

"Well, I am so glad you have attended Lady Bridgerton. I heard that your third daughter had made its debut at her Majesty today, is it not?"

Violet gave a fake smile to Lady Cowper. She had never liked the lady. Since Daphne's debut she knew how terrible the personality of her daughter, Cressida is. Even Eloise' best friend Penelope, whom Violet has a soft heart had been victimized by Cressida's constant bullying and humiliation.

"Ah, yes. Franny here is now up on the marriage mart."

Cressida Cowper stares at Francesca from head to floor, analyzing her full appearance for the night. Francesca is years behind Cressida by age but the former's higher level of status and beauty are much obvious compared to the latter who is now on her third season.

"What a pity, she is not chosen as the diamond." Cressida snidely remarks. This statement irritated Violet internally. Her daughter may not be chosen as the diamond but it was all evident that out of all the new debutantes, Franny has the prettiest face and family prestige.

"That may be true, but our Francesca surely has the advantages of being the diamond. It is just a shame that her Majesty was not in the mood to pick one." Lady Bridgerton politely hushes off the young Cowper. As it was the truth, out of all the debutantes presented today on the palace, Queen Charlotte has not named anyone for the sought after season title for the ladies. She might have taken a second look at Francesca but there is something not enough to satisfy the Queen's interest.

Knowing that she can no longer embarrass the Bridgerton daughter, Cressida then took her attention to Colin who had just returned back to the ton.

"Mister Bridgerton, I see you are back. Have you enjoyed your travels?" Cressida asks with a wicked smile on her face.