Chapter 7: The Confrontation

The Confrontation

Never have Penelope Featherington imagined how tiring it would be to dance consecutively for each song the orchestra plays. But she dares not to complaint. For her three seasons being out in the society, this is the first she had danced so many. And this makes her and her mother anticipate chances of having suitors.

After the foxtrot ended, Penelope was delivered by a Mister Marcus Anderson to her mama who had been patiently sitting on one of the sofas at the west wing. Just as she was handed a glass of lemonade by one of the wait staff who had been circling around the hall, Portia inquires her about her time spent at the refreshments area.

"Was it Lord Debling, you are speaking with earlier?" Lady Featherington whispers loudly at her youngest daughter. Prudence was nowhere around them as she remains at the dance floor escorted by a Mister Robert Huxley.

"Yes, mama. I was fortunate to meet him tonight."

"What did the two of you talk about?" Portia inquired as she had known that Penelope had spent a considerable amount of time at the refreshments table earlier. Since the Queen's announcement of her daughter being the emerald of the season, she had tried to observe closely and monitor Penelope's activities. Now that her daughter is subject to the ton's attention, she would like to ensure that no scandal of any sort will befall upon their family.

"A lot of things, mama. He asked about my opinions about matters and asked for a dance."

Portia Featheirngton's eyes widened in shock as she heard Penelope's last words.

"I beg your pardon?" The dowager Baroness asks as to have her daughter repeat what she just said.

"I said, he asked for a dance mama."

"A dance? Are you sure? That Lord Debling?" Portia still could not believe until she saw the proof that Penelope presented.

"Yes, mama. He wrote his name for the final Waltz." Penelope raising up her left wrist to show her mother the list of names written on her dance card.

"Oh, Penelope! My emerald daughter!" Portia hugged her daughter tightly which made the young lady bewildered.

"Is everything alright, mama?" Penelope curiously asks. Her mother rarely hugs her, especially more when they are in public.

"Oh Penelope! Nothing better than this! To think you would get asked by a lord just after becoming an emerald. I am so proud of you!" Portia continued to hug her daughter as she expresses her joy on tonight's turn of events.

Penelope realized how big of an impact is brought upon by the Queen's bestowed title. Her fingers unconsciously reach the extravagant piece hanging on her neck, feeling the emerald gems adorned with diamonds.

However, the young Featherington's brief rest was interrupted when the music started again. There are two more dances left before the night finally ends. And just as she was about to check whose name is to pick her up, a familiar scent and voice come up to their sofa.

"May I take this dance, Miss Featherington?" Colin Bridgerton stands tall offering his hand for Penelope to take. There were both ice cold stares coming both from Penelope and Portia Featherington. It was existent on their eyes that they do not want to have this dance between him and Penelope. But there is nothing that can be done.

Penelope could easily decline his hand right now, as she had already finished most of the dances on her card. But if she will do so, she would have to forfeit the last dance after Colin, which was reserved for Lord Thomas Debling. And as he is the most important dance partner for her tonight, Penelope Featherington had to accept the hand that was offered by her childhood crush.