Chapter 1: Hired Help

(Welcome to a more upbeat and short Ominis romance story! This won't be very long but I thought the idea was fun! This story takes place when Ominis and Sebastian are 24)

~~Ominis~~

Ominis sat in the parlor of his inherited mansion, his eyes closed as he listened to the pidgeons and sounds of people outside the window. Even in the more affluent side of London the streets were bustling with people. Servants fetching things, people going about their chores, others visiting the homes along the street.

It had taken some convincing to have his father give him this house- one of the several mansions they owned across London. Old money meant old inheritance, so the place was badly in need of repair. His father probably thought it quite fitting that he have such a place, considering he still wasn't in his favor. Even after graduating and leaving Hogwarts to come back home he'd still stood his ground on dark arts.

With the newly acquired house came the need for servants- but he was short on funds after repairing the roof and stocking the home with necessities. He let out a small frustrated sound, because he was sure they'd done that on purpose. To make him live by stretching galleons as far as he could.

"Sir, Narba has brought the new servant, sir." The house elf that has come with the house greeted him.

"Very well, send her in." Ominis nodded. She'd been highly recommended by his father's butler, a hard worker that wouldn't mind dealing with this ramshackle mansion.

"Hello, Mr. Gaunt, pleasure to meetcha." The strange accent caught him off guard, making him sit up a bit more. Certainly not from England. What was that? Not Irish or Scottish. He'd never heard that accent before.

"What's your name?" He asked curiously.

"Maylee, sir. Thank you for hiring me, I promise I'll work hard." That same accent was as prolonging the vowels and cutting off the t's off.

"Where are you from?" He asked bluntly. No use dancing around the subject.

An amused giggle came from her at the question. "Georgia, sir."

"You're American?" He said in surprise. He'd heard American accents before but certainly not like this.

"From the south, yep. I'm sorry if my talkin' isn't as fancy as-" she sounded worried.

"No, no you're fine." He said, holding up a hand to reassure her. "I just... wasn't expecting it. As long as you can get the job done I'm fine with however you talk."

"I promise I will- I'll work to the bone, sir!" She said eagerly, and sounded relieved.

"That... that's not necessary, as long as you get the job done." He said, the wording making him feel uneasy.

He heard a little amused giggle from her, and that made him raise a brow curiously. What was so funny? Though she did have a nice laugh.

"Of course, sir. Leave it to me. I'll have this place lookin' pretty as a peach." She said happily, and no sooner had she said that, than her steps all but pranced away to get to work.

"Pretty as a peach?" He furrowed his brow in confusion. Were... peaches particularly pretty or something? He was glad she was a cheerful sort instead of the overly formal servants he was used to with his family, but some of the things she said confused him.

He shook his head with a soft chuckle, deciding it was best to refocus on his work on financials for the shop he'd inherited with the house.

——————-

It was well into the afternoon before he heard from Maylee again, who announced her presence by the door suddenly creaking open and the clatter of a plate of tea china following.