Chapter 5: Unwelcome Visitor

(You may be noticing the music in the header- these are songs that have inspired each chapter or what the characters are currently feeling! Think of it as a playlist for the story)

~~Both~~

The morning wasn't nearly as relaxed as the others had been. Maylee woke Ominis as usual, but she hadn't needed to because he'd had a hard time sleeping all night knowing what was ahead of them today.

"You look tired." She said in concern as he sat up in bed.

"Because I am." He sighed. "I couldn't sleep."

Maylee frowned softly and gave a soft sigh, before thinking of something. "Ah, here-" she dashed out of the room again, making him look bewildered that she'd left. She returned only a few moments later, carrying something in her hand. "Hold out your hand for me." She said softly.

He did, and soon enough a small weight was in his palm. A stone? It felt smooth and cool, with an indent in the middle that seemed well worn. "What is it?"

"It's called a worry stone. When you rub it with your thumb, you put your worries into it so they're not in your head." She said rather happily.

He gave the stone a small rub with his thumb and liked how it felt in his hand. The thought was so sweet, too. "Thank you, Maylee." He said softly.

"O-of course." Maylee flushed from the gentle expression on his face when he looked to her, the normal morning state of him just adding to how how flustered she suddenly felt. "I thought it would make you feel better. It'll be okay though, Ominis."

"I hope you're right." He said anxiously, his thumb suddenly rubbing the stone again.

Maylee smiled softly when she saw him using the stone, going over to take his clothes out for him and set them on the bed. "How about something a bit more comfortable today, hmm?"

"That does sound nice. I'm sure my brother will think I should be looking my best for when he visits." Ominis sighed.

Maylee looked back over to him thoughtfully. "Excuse me if I'm blunt but why do ya give a flying fuck what he thinks?"

Ominis was started by the curse word, looking over toward her with wide eyes before he chuckled. "I honestly don't know. Habit, I suppose."

"A bad habit." Maylee snorted.

He gave a little smile and chuckled, nodding in agreement. "Perhaps I can break it today."

She smiled happily at that and nodded. "I hope so. Now come on, get dressed and we'll have breakfast. I made pancakes today."

"Pancakes, huh?" He grinned. "Trying to soften me up, are you?"

"Ya could use a bit of spoilin' once in a while." She chuckled, waving her hand over her shoulder as she walked out of the room. "From the sounds of how your family has been ya sure as hell weren't before now."

He blushed a bit at that, giving a little grin as she left. She wanted to spoil him, hmm? Probably to try and help relieve his nerves. He wasn't sure how effective it would be, but the gesture made him feel wonderful.

——————-

The knock at the door made both of them go silent, Ominis bringing his wand up from his paperwork and Maylee pausing in her polishing. Even separate there was a tense moment, before Maylee silently set down her polishing cloth to straighten her dress and make her way toward the front door of the mansion.

She opened the door and looked up to the man who looked very dislike Ominis. Where Ominis was slender and regal this man was stocky and... well 'homely' would be a kind description. A more accurate description was he'd fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. His face was twisted both with cruelty and with a strange sort of angular appearance.