Chapter 19: For The Best

~~Maylee~~

The rest of the night had been relatively uneventful, heading back to the three broomsticks to sleep, waking up and having breakfast downstairs before using the floo powder portals to head back to London. It had been such a magical night, and she still felt as if she was floating with the joy of it all.

"Tomorrow perhaps you can teach me how to make that chicken." Ominis smiled as they walked down the street hand in hand back to his house.

"Now now, I think ya gotta learn a bit more before we attempt fried chicken. How about some country fried steak first?" She giggled.

"That will work too- I just want to attempt to make something fried like that. It's good, so I want to learn how to do it for myself as well." He grinned.

She really liked that, giving his hand a little squeeze of appreciation. "Ya will, and then ya can make it whenever you'd like."

She didn't go through the front door of the house anymore unless she was leaving on her own. When she was out with Ominis they always went through the back to be more discrete. It was just easier this way, being able to stay out of the prying eyes of those on thr street.

"Perhaps mashed potatoes too… what herb did you put in them before?" Ominis said curiously.

She looked back to him as they approached the steps, giving him a warm smile. "Chives, sugar." She said softly before turning toward the door to open it and freezing in place.

FOUND YOU.

The words were written in blood across the door, dripping down in sickly gore on the wood. The source of the blood was apparent, a white snake having been sliced up its gut, splayed open so that it's entrails were visible and nailed to the door beneath the words.

Her eyes darted over the snake and the words, her insides turning cold at the obvious message. He was here... he knew she was here... he knew about Ominis because of the snake... and it was a threat to him. She knew very well what he was capable of, and her heart felt like it had stopped beating at the thought.

"Maylee? What's wrong?" Ominis said softly behind her, and she realized her hand had gone lax in his from her horror.

What could she even say? That her ex had found her? That he was threatening to do unspeakable things to him? He would probably try to protect her, not knowing what Roger was like... and ultimately that may get him killed. No... she couldn't risk that.

She turned to look back at him, her throat tightening with emotion sat the earnest concern in his expression. No, she wasn't worth him risking his life. At the end of the day she was just some homeless country girl with no real skills or prospects. She knew what the best choice was in this situation... but it was going to kill her to do it. It would be best for Ominis though... and that's all that mattered to her now.

"Oh nothin'," she did her best to sound normal as she tried to recover, though her heart felt like it was shriveling with pain. "Just... it looks like someone tried to break in while we were gone. The door's all messed up."

Ominis looked more concerned now and started to reach toward the door-

"No no, don't worry about it-" she said quickly, not wanting him to touch the entrails that covered the door. It would just upset him... and lead to more questions that wouldn't be good. "Let's just go around to the front, alright? I'll fix it up in a jiffy later on."

Ominis was surprised by her pulling him back from the door like that, but seemed to accept that answer. "Alright... just be careful, if anyone left a jinx on the door it may rebound on you." He said softly.