Chapter 6: Gentle Moments

~~Maylee~~

Maylee woke up the next morning to the sun already up, making her startle in panic that she'd slept in too late.

Her jolt made Ominis grab her tighter and scramble for his wand on the bedside table before both of them eventually calmed down.

It was then that Maylee realize where she was, and who she was in bed with, her face turning bright red as she felt her legs were tangled with his, his hand resting on her waist just above her rear. Her mind turned frazzled as she tried to think of how she'd gotten here, looking up as he sighed in relief and leaned his head back against the pillows.

"What... how..." she whispered, her voice rough. Oh that's right... she brought a hand up to her throat and winced a bit with a soft pained sound.

"What? What is it?" Ominis had heard the sound, his face suddenly concerned as he sat up again.

"I think my throat is bruised." She said, her voice still rough and raspy.

Ominis cursed softly and grabbed his wand again, sitting up a bit more. He took his arms from around her and reached forward before he hesitated. "Is this alright?"

She looked at his hand, not knowing what he was planning, but... she trusted him. "Yeah." She said softly.

He gave a little smile before he continued, his hand searching for her and his fingertips gently touching her cheek. He seemed to feel the heat of her blush because his cheeks turned a bit red as well, his fingers slowly gliding down her cheek to her jaw and then her neck.

She bit her lip from the way his fingertips glided along her skin like that, having to remind herself that he was just trying to see where things were. It wasn't anything more than that. Still, it made a little shiver run down her spine helplessly.

"If you don't want me to touch you I can stop." He said, feeling the shudder.

"N-no, I'm fine." She said, embarrassed by how breathless she sounded.

His eyes widened a bit at the sound of her voice, but his fingers moved further down to gently run along her neck. He gave a soft sound, his cheeks deepening in color before she flinched a bit when he couched a bruise.

He brought his wand forward, touching the cool tip against her neck. "Episkey." He said softly.

Soft warm magic filled her neck, and the strain in her throat lifted, the bruised skin slowly healing so the ache went away.

She let out a long sigh and leaned further back against the pillow behind her in relief. "Thank you." She said softly.

"Of course, my pleasure." He said with a gentle smile, though his fingers lingered on her neck still. Her breath caught when the touch lasted far longer than was necessary, looking up to see his eyelids hooded and his expression thoughtful. What was he thinking about?

"I'm sorry my brother did that to you." He said somenly after a short moment of silence.

"It ain't nothing you could help." She said, trying not to think of his fingers still against her skin. Had he... forgotten about it? No, of course he hadn't.

"Regardless, I am sorry he did it. Though... thank you for stopping the curse." He said, before his eyebrows furrowed. "That's right... how did you stop it? I didn't think it was possible to do so."

Maylee couldn't help a smug little smile. "Ya might call it a secret weapon, I s'pose. My pa died saving a Cherokee man from some ruffians, but they turned on him instead. As a thank you the man got permission from his tribe to teach us kids some of their magic to defend ourselves."