Chapter 17: Feldcroft

~~Ominis~~

It was so good to be back in Feldcroft, the scents and sounds familiar to him like London never never was. He felt far more at home here than anywhere else. The air was so much more clear here, the scent of forest and green all around him instead of charcoal smoke and horse dung from London. He held Maylee's hand as they walked from the floo powder shack down the road toward Feldcroft. He'd offered to apparate them there, but Maylee insisted on taking the 'scenic route'. Who was he to argue with that? More time to enjoy her company.

"These flowers are the funniest damn thing I ever saw!" She laughed, a honking daffodil sounding off over and over again.

"Are you poking it?" He laughed in amusement, reaching out to hold her other hand affectionately.

"Of course! Every time I poke it, it makes a lil' honk-" she giggled. "We don't have anything like this in America."

"Really? What other types of flowers do you have, then?" He asked curiously.

"Mmm, ma grew big ol' pest eating iris in the backyard. They were wild things. I saw a big one eat a whole mouse once." Maylee laughed.

Pest eating iris? He'd never even heard of those... what else did they have in America that wasn't here?

"Sounds like a venomous tentacula. I had to grow some in herbology during school. It kept trying to bite my wand." Ominis smiled warmly at the memory. Though at the time it had been rather terrifying.

"What's with all these plants being so hostile? Why can't we have more cute little guys like these darlins?" Maylee said yearningly.

"I would suggest we could plant some in the gardens at the house but the muggles would see them." Ominis sighed.

"Well, then when you get a cottage out here we'll just have to plant some there, hmm?" Maylee said happily, and the honking stopped as he felt her hand rest against his chest, a soft kiss planted against his lower chin that made him smile warmly.

"Yes, we'll definitely do that." He said softly, holding her against him lovingly for a long moment. She was thinking of a future with him, and that made his heart melt with joy.

"So... are ya up with visiting your friends today? Ya sent them that owl yesterday, right?" Maylee said excitedly.

He chuckled, rather pleased that she was so eager to meet Sebastian and Victoria. "I did, so they're expecting us. It was a bit short notice but they sure seemed pleased we were coming. Though I will warn you, they'll probably be very interested in you."

"Oh? Why me?" Maylee asked in confusion.

"Ah... well, they know I expressed interest in you... and both of them are rather protective of me..." he said, rubbing his neck anxiously. He had warned them not to be too hard on her. He didn't want them to scare her off or something. They could both be rather intense.

"Y-you told them-" she stammered a bit. She went silent for a moment and he wished he could see her expression. Was she happy about that? Upset? She didn't sound upset.

"Yes... I needed some advice at the time. I haven't been with... well, I was nervous." He admitted, feeling his face flush with embarrassment.

She giggled softly, and her palms pressed against his heated cheeks. "You're adorable, I'm just happy you told them you were interested in me back then. It means you felt this way for a while, huh?" She said softly.

He let out a soft breath of relief that she wasn't upset. "Yes... a while." He said softly, putting one of his hands over hers against his cheek. "I didn't want to mess anything up with you."