Chapter 8: Biscuits and Gravy

~~Maylee~~

She was glad she'd spent all day doing heavy labor, it had given her an outlet for all the pent up energy in her. Her mind kept turning back to this morning and the intense moment she'd shared with Ominis. It was like sparks were flying between them, his touch making goosebumps rise on her skin even though it was just simple touches.

The hooded look to his eyes, the way he'd moaned into her mouth and hissed softly at certain touches. Lordie.

"Get a grip." She grumbled to herself, moving the last of the heavy furniture to the center of the room so she could properly dust and clean tomorrow. It had taken a long time to clear them all off of cobwebs and dust, and now it was time for the floor.

But first- dinner... because when she looked outside the sun was getting lower in the sky. Or... as much as she could see the sun through the London smog. She missed clear skies.

She went into the kitchen and blushed when she saw Ominis already there waiting for her, giving a warm smile when she entered. Oh that smile could melt glaciers, though.

"Here to keep me company again?" She said cheerfully as she walked past him to the cabinets, taking out some pots and pans.

"I like spending time with you." He said a bit quietly, messing with the cuff of his shirt.

She blushed at that, her belly doing little excited flips of joy. "Well... I like spending time with you, too." She said honestly, her tone softer than before.

She glanced over to him and saw a gentle happy smile on his face, his hands stopping their fiddling with his cuff to lean back against the counter casually.

"What are you making for dinner, then?" He asked curiously, seeming much more relaxed now. Had he thought she wouldn't want him around for some reason?

"We're gonna try a staple, and my favorite since we're gonna have a pretty deep talk." She said, taking flour, butter and buttermilk. "I'm makin' biscuits and gravy."

"Biscuits... for dinner?" He seemed bewildered.

"Oh yeah, good flaky buttery biscuits, ya won't ever go back after having my buttermilk biscuits let me tell ya." She said proudly.

"Biscuits go with tea, though. They're sweet. Are we having dessert for dinner? With... gravy?"

She set down the flour and looked at him in confusion before giggling in amusement. "Are ya talkin' about cookies? Do you call them biscuits?"

"Cookies?" He said in surprise and blinked a few times before laughing as well. "I see. I'll trust your culinary expertise, this will be fun."

She sputtered a bit. "Oh I ain't no expert, Ominis... there are grannies who have a lot more experience than I do."

"Well, experience comes with practice, and I'll be more than happy to eat whatever you'd like to make. Everything has been good so far."

Maylee blushed again. Agh, he was really buttering her up- but he seemed sincere about it, too.

She got out a big mixing bowl for the biscuits as they spoke. "I do appreciate you bein' alright with me making all the food I'm used to. I thought I'd have to learn all new recipes when I was hired."

"I think it's very fun. I like trying new things, I just don't usually get to go out much to see anything different."

She paused in her mixing and looked over to him with wide eyes. That's right... the whole time she'd been here she'd never once seen him leave the house. "You've been cooped up in your house all your life?" She asked in horror.