Chapter 21: Roger

Tw: abuse, violence

Maylee stumbled onto the hill that the port key dumped her at, panting for breath from her wild run. She's tried so hard to shake them, there was no way they'd followed her through the port key.

She fell to her hands and knees as she tried to catch her breath, hating so much that she'd had to run from Ominis like that. He didn't know, though... he didn't know what Roger was capable of. He didn't know how much danger he was in if she'd stayed. She couldn't stand the thought of Roger killing Ominis. At least this way he could live, and she could just keep the memory of him to herself.

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts she didn't notice someone approach until a hand gripped into her hair, pulling her up painfully and causing her to cry out. She knew who it was without even looking up, her body shaking before she finally dared to look at him.

The same dark brown eyes looked back at her, dull and black like a shark's. He was smiling, and the little emotion he showed was one of smug satisfaction.

"I knew you'd run out of your den, little fox." He said in a deep voice that struck fear through her, closing her eyes as she remembered all the things he'd done to her before she'd escaped.

"You didn't think you'd be able to stay holed up there forever, did you? No... I let you have your fun. I even let you sleep with that snake. I was good to you... now you should be good to me." He set a hand under her chin gently, as if he wasn't still using her hair to hold her up.

Maylee gritted her teeth, anger and hurt welling up in her before it boiled over. "Fuck you." She hissed, before spitting up at him.

He flinched as it hit his face, his expression turning dark and dangerous as he wiped it away. "I see I spoiled you too much." He said bitterly, before her head rung from a hard hit to the face, leaving her dazed as he pulled her further up to her feet. She tried limply to stand as her cheek and eye started to ache, her breath coming in quick and shallow in fear as he glared at her.

"You know what I want... what will prevent more from happening to you." Roger said in a dark tone.

She knew very well what he wanted. Her wandless magic didn't work on him, though... she'd played her card out of desperation and now he knew. It's why she'd had to run, it's why he kept chasing her. If he learned the spell to prevent magic... no she couldn't let that happen. He'd be unstoppable.

"Fuck off, prick." She spat out, though her words were a bit slurred from the hit still making her head spin.

"Bitch." Roger cursed out at her, before he struck her again, letting her drop to the ground with a loud cry of pain.

"MAYLEE!" A familiar voice made her raise her head in shock, her vision swimming from tears of pain. No... no it couldn't be- please no...

"What-" Roger looked up in shock at other people.

Two figures ran down the hill, and she felt both elation and dread when she saw them. No no no-

A spell shot out above her, and Roger grunted in pain from it, Ominis' wand still held up. "What did you do?!" He yelled in fury. He must have heard her yell in pain.

"You really are blind-" Roger laughed in amusement, looking down to Maylee with a wry grin. "Really? A blind guy over me?"

"He's more of a man than you are." Maylee hissed out, grabbing her wand to try and defend herself but yelled as she was kicked in the side. Her wand fell to the ground, and she felt her blood turned cold when she heard a snap.

She looked down to see her wand snapped in two under his boot, fresh tears filling her eyes. No...

"Stay down, fox... or I'll gut both of them." He said in a quiet menacing tone.