Chapter 17 - Shame and A Mischievous Fox

Patreon Shout out:
Thanks to EstenLyrics  for Joining Amber Eyed!

<Redline>

I slipped up: One stupid, funny moment from that frustratingly adorable little Dragon living with us was enough to make my tongue slip.

I called him Pops. I've made it a point to never call him that on purpose, or at the very least, to do it as little as possible. Since there have been times when he's acted more like  father to me than whoever it was my real parents were...

I didn't remember them anymore: They died when I was three or something, so all I had before Pops was the dark alleys and horrors of the streets. Living in abandoned buildings, moving every few weeks as to not get caught by someone or something bad, going to the forest on occasion to grow stronger and get the occasional fresh meal, and making sure to stay out of the spotlight as much as possible...I will never understand why that one punk wanted my tail so badly--he got what was coming to him though, so it no longer mattered to me.

Who would've thought an Oni above level 200 would care about a little Shadow-Stalker Felid like me? I didn't even look like most of the other Hybrid-Kin in the city?! With digitigrade legs, more fur on the arms and body than others, and longer canines than any other Feline-Kin...even longer than some of the Fox-Kin.

The trip to the guild was actually pretty quiet and uneventful...thankfully. It honestly made me wish that Sc'the had actually followed along just so that something eventful would happen, but he wouldn't get off the grounds easily; Pops wouldn't let him, I'm sure of that. The entrances changed every few weeks, but there was always a noticeable series of patterns put out around the city. Looking for the signs was the easy part by now: One of the street signs pointing South instead of North, a Cat with a blue-tipped ear drawn on the side of a side-alley wall, advertisement flags with patterned rips in them, and a skew of other things...

And just my luck, it seemed this week's entrance was in the outskirts at one of the second district's outer Commerce Areas. Knowing where it was was the hard part of being a 'Shadow Blade' Guild Member, but I was getting better at it. The shop on the edge of the commerce area was displaying different flags of various shapes, and one of them--one of the smallest--was the flag of a silver ladle.

Why would a meat cutter be selling ladles? Simple. They weren't. 

I confidently strolled over to it and ordered a pair of skewers with hot Feisty Reer meat on them, and as the vendor looked over asking for payment I put the full amount--twelve copper--and my Guild Coin on the counter. They wrapped up the skewers and set them on the counter, but just as they aimed to take the coins a familiar hand swiped them from the counter. I looked over hastily, thinking someone was stealing them and my guild coin, but a familiar foxy seductress stood there instead; looking at coins, and me with an amused playfulness.

She then dropped the coins on the counter and walked off: I quickly grabbed my skewers and followed after her noticing that my Guild Coin was missing. "Hey...Freija, give it back." I whisper- yelled at her, trying not to attract too much attention. She just grinned and looked at me with the silver-black coin between her teeth. Opening and closing her mouth a split second to let the coin fall in, humming, "I don't know what you're talking about kitty," as she continued to walk on.

I increased my pace and pointed a claw at her chest, not amused, "Give it. I am not in the mood to deal with your playful Fox-shit right now." I growled a little letting my claws glow up a little with (Light Aura).

She sighed and her left hand flicked the coin over, how she got it there after being in her mouth I still didn't know, "You're never in the mood to play a little...Can't a lady get have a little fun with their cute kitty friend every once in a while?" She leant in purring as I put my Coin in my Storage Ring quickly. "You never have any fun. I want you to relax a little, have a little fun kitty! Life isn't all about survival you know."