Twenty two

We're sat down

We're sat down. Everyone is sat down and staring at me. I'm sat next to Alonzo who gives me a slight smile which I don't return.

I don't think I've ever been more nervous in my life and I've been thrown off a cliff but that's a story for another day.

Grandfather suddenly speaks up again. "We shouldn't tell her, it's too dangerous" he utters angrily looking at my dad.

"She deserves to know dad" Uncle Angelo then says glaring at Nonno.

"We can't lie to her, she's seen too much" Gabriele then utters. I have a lot of cousins, I don't think I've even had a conversation with him yet.

"She'll become a target" Uncle Dom then interrupts causing a muttering.

"She already is" Domenico responds snd my eyes snap to his. He wouldn't dare out me, I would kill him and that's not a lie.

"Okay enough" Dad booms out and the whole room goes silent. He looks at me and his eyes instantly soften. I'm his little girl, his innocent Bambina.

"Arianna what we're about to tell you will change your whole life" he speaks sincerely as if no one else is in the room.

"This family you're apart of, we're different to other families" yeah 'different' is a good way to describe it.

"We're businessmen, we own a lot of things, we control a lot of things" he states and I tilt my head waiting for the bomb to drop.

"We're- shit. Arianna we are the Cosa Nostra, the Italian Mafia" he announces. Okay so how am I going to play this, shocked or ignorant, shocked or ignorant shocked or-

I let myself let out a laugh, followed by a chuckle. "You can't be serious" I mumble and look around in anticipation.

"Does it look like we're joking" Giovanni answers snd my smile drops.

"My family are criminals" I speak out and few glares come my way.

"I wouldn't say Criminals more like businessmen with a purpose" Luciano says and now it's his turn to receive a few glares.

"Wow...I... don't know what to think" i stutter out acting conflicted.

"Are you scared of us" Leonardo asks frowning in my direction.

"No.. and I might be crazy for saying this but no. If anything I feel safer now, I know you all love me and would protect me with your lives. I just wish you would've told me sooner instead of hiding it from me" I answer and a few smiles form on my families spaces.

"That's ironic" Federico coughs loudly gaining everyone's attention and my heart stops.

"What do you mean Rico" Lorenzo suddenly asks becoming alive again. Federico looks at me and I plead at him with my eyes but the guy continues his nonsense.

"Are none of you questioning her reaction" he mutters and that dread of doom forms in my stomach. My legs begin to shake unnaturally and  the uncontrollably lip biting starts.

"Any normal girl wouldn't react like that to her family being apart of the Mafia" he continues. Why, why must he do this. I would've told them in my time. I think...

"What are you saying Arianna isn't normal" Alonzo joins in looking between myself and Rico.

"The girl was attacked by 2 large Russian men and she comes out untouched" he states addressing the rest of my family. I need to leave, they're going to hate me. But no, then they'll know somethings wrong just take it Arianna.

"She is trained in combat, she is trained with weapons.. she has a fucking knife hidden up her sleeve right now" he pronounces and multiple gasps are heard.

Alexander marches over to me before grabbing my sleeve and giving it a shake and lo and behold my knife drops out onto the floor. Alexander looks at me with wide eyes as he picks up the knife and examines it, still with the Russians blood wiped over it.

I feel sick, I can't believe this is happening I'm being uncovered in front of my whole family. They know my identity, thanks to Rico. What if they kick me out and abandon me, will they even love me.

My whole body is now shaking uncontrollably and my eyes are tearing up. What sort of Assassin am I. I'm weak and pathetic, I lied to my family. I watched my mother die and I did nothing. I couldn't do anything.

"She's an Assassin-"

"Enough Federico" Lorenzo shouts silencing him and the room. Only my silent sobs can be heard. Lorenzo then stands up and walks over to me before crouching down at my level.

"Arianna is this true" he asks in the softest tone he's ever said. I stare at him through blurred teary eyes before nodding. I close my eyes bracing for a slap, yelling or any form of Violence but none of that came. Instead Lorenzo wipes my tears and pulls me into a hug.

He pulls out grabs my hand and stands up. "Dad can we talk with Anna" he asks dad who's been very silent. He nods and I walk past my shocked family members holding Lorenzo's hand as he leads me to his office.

When we get there he sits me down on the leather sofa in his office and places himself next to me. My dad grabs a seat and sits opposite.

"Take a deep breath anna" Lorenzo utters and I do just that. I take a deep breath and enter my memories.

"How Arianna... how did you become an Assassin" my father asks the dreadful question I've been hoping and praying would never be asked.

My mind takes me back to when I first arrived at one of the warehouses, and I was thrown into a room with 40 other children, all ranging from different ages. Their clothes were disheveled and ripped. They all had cuts and bruises and some were even in chains... and at that moment I knew my whole life was going to change and not for the better.

"Arianna please tell us" father asks again practically begging in his tone.

"Anatoly trained me" I say barely above a whisper.

"What" my father responds in a hoarse voice and I instantly know this is going to be the worst conversation of my life.

"Anatoly took me and trained me dad... he made me into a monster"....