Chapter 6: Florian's parents

Florian picked up his compact-sized BMW at Harold's house and drove home. He didn't bother to change; he was feling quite dispirited. He had already told his parents about the trick that they were trying to pull to get into the 'perfect house'. His mother (Valencia) had been concerned about the duplicity, but his father (Bill) had thought that it was hilarious . . . so they might as well see him dressed up.

"Well, I'll be blowed, you look really lovely, dear."

"A hot chick, ay?"

"Knock it off, Dad, it's just a stunt."

"But did it work?"

"Yeah, sort of."

He filled them in.

At the dining table, having lunch.

"So what are you going to do?"

"Not sure, we are just going to play it by ear and deal with it as best we can."

"You do look so nice, love."

"Okay, Mum . . . thanks, but okay, okay . . ."

"So is it Florina, then?"

"Yessss, Dad, you are so bloody smart."

"Well, my boy . . . sorry, my girl, it seems to me that there is every chance that you could end up as Florina full-time."

"No way, absolutely no way."

Bill looked at Florian's two younger brothers (aged eight and ten), "What do you say, boys, to having a big sister?"

The older of the two shrugged and replied, "Okay, I guess."

The younger one was staring and nodding.

"How are you feeling about it, love, the dressing up I mean, is it too uncomfortable . . . ?"

"I guess it's not as bad as I expected, Mum. The clothes feel okay, and after a bit, I don't notice the make-up . . . yeah, it's okay."

"Lighten up, Florina. You might as well just enjoy it. And let's face it, if you get sprung, you are not going to get thrown into prison, the worst thing that can happen is that you lot will get tossed out of the house."

"Yeah, I suppose so, Dad. Trouble is, I love the place, it ticks all the boxes."

"Full-time Florina here we come."

"Stop your smirking, Father, you're up for my share of the bond and the rent."

"With pleasure. I want to see this play out. This could be a riot."

Then he added with amused reflection, "You know, Val my dear, girls have higher personal expenses than boys, don't they? Perhaps we should consider increasing our daughter's allowance."

Florian could no longer help himself, he started laughing at his father's antics, but then stated empathically, "Yes, please."

Maybe there was some upside to this 'girlling-up' business.