Chapter 42: the rehearsal and wedding day

Flori was having a confused mixture of emotions - his parents were terrific, and the transition question was sorted, but he continued to be anxious and dithery about Macy. He had considered and rejected a dozen possible approaches to her. Should he go around to her place? Should he ring her at home? Should he wait? Should he ask Adele if Macy was in a relationship? Should he do this or that?

The afternoon for the rehearsal of the church ceremony arrived virtually catching Flori by surprise, but it would be the opportunity he wanted.

So many people: the wedding party, the parents, the priest, the ushers, the organist, the people doing the church decorations . . . good grief. Flori trying to pay attention to the proceedings while desperately looking for Macy.

Finally, he caught her eye. He nearly yelled out, but instead frantically mouthed the words 'I have to talk to you, I have to'.

She understood. He saw her face brighten up and she nodded 'yes' eagerly in return.

No chance. As soon as the rehearsal was finished, the bride and bridesmaids were bustled out of the place to go for the final fitting of their gowns. Macy was looking over her shoulder, seeking Flori with an appealing expression. He was moving towards her, gesturing and trying to tell her 'We'll do it, we'll do it'.

It was only two days to the wedding, and so busy. This might be an Atwood/Connelly wedding, but it was also a Pendergast affair, and it was going to be 'right'. Speeches, toasts, etc, everything organised precisely.

Come the day: Adele clad in a glorious white satin gown of clean cut lines and carrying herself superbly; Macy in her dark pink bridesmaid's dress looked so beautiful that she took Flori's breath away.

Everything was going smoothly, the ceremony, the photos and the early part of the reception. Flori and Macy had no chance for a private talk, but managed to exchange a few whispered words - "I'm sorry, Macy", "I've missed you awfully, Flori" and "I've missed you".

Finally, the bridal waltz and Flori and Macy joining the newlyweds out on the dance floor.

"You look so beautiful, Macy."

"Oh, thank you, Flori."

"I've been a complete idiot, Macy."

"I should never have left you alone at that club. I'm sorry, Flori, and I've been so miserable."

"It's going to be all right, Macy. We'll sneak away in a few minutes and I'll tell you everything and hope you'll forgive me."