Chapter 20: Macy speaks

Flori wasn't overly surprised to see that Macy was struggling and becoming a little distressed.

"I didn't seduce her, Flori, I didn't. It just happened. Somehow at that graduation party, we coalesced and then we got together a couple of times afterwards. That probably would have been it; I mean, we weren't in love or anything, just having some fun and some sex, but then we realised, as I told you before, that we were going to the same uni and doing medicine."

Tears were forming in Macy's eyes. "Flori, for Adele I was just a walk on the wild side because she's not actually a lesbian. I should have realised that more quickly than I did; but what Adele is (big breath), is a very nice person. She knows that my parents can't really afford for me to go to uni. Her parents pay the rent on our flat, Adele won't let me pay anything - I wouldn't have the money anyway. Oh shit."

Florian felt that he could now understand the situation; he squeezed Macy's hand and stepped in. "Macy, are you saying that if you and Adele openly acknowledge the end of your relationship, then you would feel obliged to leave the flat?"

"Yes, of course I would." Macy was trying to blink back her tears.

"Yeah, I thought so, and Adele knows that. Hmmm . . . so I'm guessing that you felt it was okay, or at least tolerable, for you not to pay a share of the rent when you were Adele's girlfriend, but not if that changed?"

Macy was shaking her head glumly, "Then it would be like accepting charity."

Florian's face formed into a stern frown. "Damn it all, Macy, you're the smartest person I've ever met, it would be a tragedy if you couldn't complete your studies, and that's something that Adele knows too. You're dead right, Adele is a very nice person. It's you, and what will happen to you that's causing her all this worry."

Macy was still shaking her head, continuing to look distressed.

"Look at it this way, my dear Macy. Think of it as you having an obligation to develop your gifts to serve both yourself and the community. So forget this bullshit about not accepting help from others. I'm damn sure that Adele would be delighted to have you continue to live with her, as her flatmate, not as her lover."

There was silence for a while with Macy still looking uncertain. Florian took the initiative.

"Look, this can't go on; I'm going to sort this out for you two. I'm going to speak to Adele and bring things out into the open. Now, your flat has plenty of room for another bed, and we've got a spare bed at home we don't need. It'll fit in Harold's SUV so we'll bring it around. That can become your bed."

Macy didn't respond, just sitting there, looking down and squeezing Florian's hand.

"Well, is that all right with you?" Florian demanded in a commanding tone.

Macy raised her head. "Gosh, Flori the sweet pussycat, can also be a tiger."

"Damn right," Flori laughed feeling more than a little pleased with Macy's form of expression.

It was sorted.