Chapter 35: whither Florina?

When Flori was telling Macy all about the blackmail attempt, she started looking at him in a concerned and wondering manner, even though Flori was trying to have a laugh about it.

The matter that Macy was wondering about, was what Flori would now do as regards Florina. She could see that Flori was still wearing the in-between clothes and sporting the unisex hairdo. Had he come to the gate as Florina and then changed as usual? It looked like it. So what was he doing? She began to feel a strange ache.

"Anyway," Flori concluded his report with a light-hearted wave of the hand, "I now find myself in a rather curious situation. All the neighbours know me as Florina so I have to find some plausible way of reverting. Of course, we don't want the blackmail story to get out, that could have some undesirable consequences."

There was a sudden quiet. Flori seemed to have abruptly run out of steam and the two of them sat looking at each other with uncertain expressions.

That morning, Flori had got up, dressed as Florina in his usual way, gone downstairs, had breakfast, reminded Preston to go to his dental appointment that afternoon, waved to Mrs Stein as she walked past her house, done the gate change, attended the morning classes, and was now sitting with Macy wearing his ambiguous clothes and hairstyle.

That had all seemed so normal, even natural.

What would happen now though? What would it mean when he stopped being Florina? It should be just simple . . . but maybe . . .

Macy saw the confusion and distress start to appear on Flori's face and jumped in, "Babe, you don't need to do anything immediately, there's no rush. Give yourself time to sort matters out. Look, you've done the thing that was important to you - you've told Mrs Stein - the rest of it you can deal with when it suits you."

Flori blinked at Macy then grabbed her hand as though grabbing a lifeline. "Yeah, of course, of course. Thanks, Macy, thanks."

Flori went home that afternoon feeling much more relaxed.