Chapter 38: the bust-up

Florian went home and stayed there. His parents could see something was wrong but he refused to talk about it. He wouldn't answer his phone, he wouldn't talk to anybody.

Macy came around but he shunned her, much to the distress of his mother.

He felt ashamed and disgusted with himself, and furious at everyone who'd played a part in the whole horrible episode.

Macy, for taking him to that damn club; the pill that had made him stupid; that man for taking advantage of him; his friends for inducing him into becoming Florina in the first place; all of them to blame.

He hardly left his room, doing study and reading online. His father got fed up with him.

"Florian, Mum and I have some idea what's troubling you, but you have to talk to us about it. Hiding in your room and brooding is not the way to deal with a problem, so stop behaving like a petulant child and start taking some positive action. We will try to help you if you will let us."

Florian sighed, "Okay, thanks, Dad. But I need a bit more time so just leave me for a while yet, please."

An invitation arrived: an informal party to celebrate the engagement of Roberto and Adele, to be held at the Connelly house on the last weekend before uni recommenced.

Florian was caught completely by surprise and felt a surge of affection and happiness for his old friend. Of course, he would have to go, awkward though it would be.

At the party, Florian was polite and courteous but not his usual outgoing self. Rob and Adele came up to him. "Listen, man, Del and I would like to help. Come on, let's sort this out between you and Macy."

"Thanks, guys, but it's cool. Don't you worry about it, just be happy; I'm so pleased for the pair of you."

Harold and Preston also had their offers to help declined. Florian caught Mrs Connelly looking at him with a concerned expression a couple of times.

Towards the end of the party, Macy came up to Florian. He had avoided her so far but had noticed that she was very subdued.

"I wanted to tell you something before I left, Flori. Will you listen, please?" Her voice sounded strained.

He didn't respond but stayed where he was.

"I've been offered a bursary to attend the Green Valley University Hospital out at Tarrison. It will cover my fees, expenses and accommodation, and provide me with a small living allowance. I have to take it to relieve my parents of the financial burden of paying for me to go to uni."

Macy took a breath and her voice became stressed, "Flori, I've not told anyone about that night and never will. I'm just sorry, I'm so, so sorry."

She turned and walked away. Florian's heart lurched and he stumbled a few steps after her, reaching out his hand, but then the thought, "No, no. It's for the best. Just let her go, it's for the best."