Chapter 36: the third year is ending

Four of the group turned twenty-one during that third university year. Adele's birthday in May was celebrated with a family-only dinner . . . except that Roberto was invited - much to the smug delight of Flori and Macy.

Preston had a party at home for relatives and friends. It was quite a big turnout and developed into a very lively affair.

Harold's twenty-first was a more traditional party at a function centre and the dignified Cathy again caught Macy's attention.

Bobba had a formal-style garden party at his place and who should be there? - Selma, of course. Preston managed to avoid her for a while but then she cornered him. She wasn't as intense as she had been during their first encounter but still pretty much controlled things. She quizzed him at some length about his studies and future plans. Then, to his surprise, she allowed him to escape. He once again experienced that sense of disappointment that someone so damn attractive could be such a bloody pain.

The last few months of the academic year were a period of focus and study. Preston, Bobba and Adele were all expecting to complete their degrees this year. The other three still had two years to go.

Then two weeks before their exams started, Preston received a phone call from a large legal firm. He went in for an interview and was offered a three-month trial in their criminal law division to commence in January. He was over the moon, this was exactly what he wanted.

As planned, Bobba would be taking up an executive position with the family company. Adele had done some work experience with a couple of pharmacies and was expecting to pick up some casual work with them until she could find a full-time job.

Harold, Preston and Flori were going to continue to live in the house - it was convenient to Preston's new place of work and he preferred to stay where he was rather than return home or seek accommodation elsewhere.

Bobba and Adele were both returning to live with their parents. Macy was trying to find some cheap student accommodation. Flori was wondering if he should ask his two friends if Macy could live at the house rent-free.