Prologue

What I saw was beautiful. My jaw dropped as before me was the most beautiful scene I'd ever seen. It was like what I imagined, yet better. With the lights shining down at me, the sight so beautiful it left me frozen, I grew thankful I was eighteen because that allowed me to attend balls. The one I was attending was a masquerade ball and I was in awe of what was before me.

The ballroom hall was grande. Golden and dimmed, only to be illuminated by the giant chandelier in the centre of the room. Beneath the chandelier was the vast dance floor where masked gentlemen and ladies dressed up elegantly in suits and gowns were twirling across it in pairs, wearing smiles on their faces. White tables surrounded the floor and there sat elders who looked just as amazed as I did because the sight in front of me was one you could never get sick of. Who knew a ball could be so beautiful.

"Do you like it dear?" My mother asked next to me, looking pleased.

"Yes, Mother," I replied, smiling. "It's beautiful. Thank you for taking me here."

"You're welcome." She took my hand in hers gently. "Now let's be on our way."

Mother led me to a table near the dance floor and I sat down. It was hard for me to sit in my large, creamy white gown, but I managed. Even though my corset was poking my waist, I was too fascinated by the dance floor in front of me to care.

"These are the queens and kings of our country, along with their children," Mother said, sitting next to me.

She sat down easily in her slim, elegant navy blue gown. I was jealous, but knowing she was growing old and couldn't handle huge gowns like mine, I ignored those thoughts.

"They're stunning," I admitted. "Look at how they dance."

My brown eyes glued onto a lovely pair. They were staring into each other's eyes and smiling, moving gracefully across the dance floor. Staring at them, my heart yearned to join them. To dance beautifully along with them, but sadly the art of dancing was foreign to me. 

"Not as stunning as you," Mother said, the corners of her mouth turning up a bit. "Dear, you are the loveliest princess I know."

I smiled, touched by Mother's rare compliment. "Thank you."

Silence surrounded us as I began to stare at the dancers again. I couldn't tear my eyes away from them. Even though Mother seemed bored as she sighed tiredly, I found myself entertained just watching them.

"Diana, I'm going to speak to King Henry of Hertz. You may do whatever you like while I'm gone," Mother said, getting up.

I nodded without shifting my gaze away from the dance floor. Even if I could do anything, I would stay where I was. Just to watch the beautiful princes and princesses grace the dance floor.

*****  

Half an hour flew by and I wanted nothing more than to join the princes and princesses on the dance floor. I wanted to be like them; happy and soaring across the dance floor as if it was as simple as breathing. But, I wouldn't be able to. Not when I didn't know how to dance and wouldn't have anyone asking me to.

Disappointed, I sighed and got up. I was thirsty and I knew I should stop punishing myself by watching others dance. So walking to the punch bowl near the edge of the dance floor, I put my silver mask back in place.

The table consisted of a bowl of punch and a platter of cookies. I grabbed a cup and poured myself some punch. Feeling quite thirsty, I chugged down my punch and gasped. Quickly pouring myself another cup, I chugged it down as well.