Chapter 13

I was in a good mood after yesterday. An incredible mood actually, as I thought of the comfort Alex gave me. But, I knew that would soon end. I knew Mother was angry and soon I'd be facing her wrath.

   I was right.

    Suddenly, the door to my room flew open. Mother stormed in and her face was contorted with a rage I hadn't seen in years. Shrinking back on my bed I sat on, I readied myself for her wrath.

     "Where were you yesterday!" Mother roared, storming up to me.

   When she stood less than a meter away from me, I gulped. My heartbeat accelerated and I tried to come up with a lie. But suddenly remembering why Mother and I were fighting, my eyes narrowed. Confidence suddenly flooded into me.

    "That's none of your business," I simply said.

    Her eyes widened at my response, but just as quickly they hardened. They looked at me with a fire I knew could burn me if real, which knocked down my confidence.

   "Diana," she said, her voice scarily low. "I'm not going to ask this again. Where were you yesterday?"

   "That's none of your business," I repeated, standing up suddenly.

    Mother and I were about the same height, so we stared at each other at an even level. I knew my eyes were hard just like hers as she scowled. I knew I was testing a woman who shouldn't be tested, but I didn't stop staring at her as I tried to express my own anger and hurt.

   "You have become a very spoiled princess," Mother suddenly said, shaking her head. "You must be taught a lesson."

    "What are you going to do? Ground me?" I asked bitterly. "That wouldn't make a difference because I've spent my entire life chained to this castle."

    "Don't talk back to me," she hissed. "To teach you a lesson I'll be sending you to Philip's castle. You'll go there and get closer to him. You'll make sure your wedding happens."

    "No."

    "You will or I swear to god I'll make your life miserable!" Mother shouted, surprising me.

    Her eyes were wild and her words were like knives, sharp and stabbing, causing me to falter. As I stared at my Mother who looked furious, I realized she would actually do that. She didn't care that I was her daughter and she would make my life miserable if I disobeyed her. I couldn't believe it, but at the same time I could. Mother had never had the kindest heart, so I wondered why it took so long to see her true colours.

    "Fine," I spat, wanting to be away from her. "I'll do as you say."

    "Good." She smirked. "Now go to the carriage and be on your way."

    "Now?"

    "Yes, now. Or do you want to test me some more?"

    I shook my head and walked past her, suddenly exhausted. Mother was too stubborn. Too much like a dictator. My life was a joke and defeatedly, I went to the carriage and went to Philip's castle. Even though I hated being around Philip, it was better than being around Mother at least.