Chapter 7

I sat at my window, staring off into the distance. My town was what my eyes were drawn to and my mind went to Alex, wondering when the next time we would explore. It had to be when Mother was on an errand, so I had to be patient.

    Getting up, I felt myself think about Mother as I left my room. I didn't look homeless and I didn't look happy either as I walked down the hallways, in need of breakfast. Even after our fight, I wondered why I was still trying to please her. I didn't understand why a small bit of guilt twisted in me as I went to the dining room, and I shook my head. Sometimes my heart was too gentle.

    Entering the dining room that had one long table in the centre of it, I went over to it and sat down at one end of it. The table was already set with many plates and cutlery for the opportunity for guests to arrive at anytime, and feeling my stomach grumble, I picked up the single silver bell at my side and rang it. Soon a servant came, wearing a bright, fake smile.

    "Good morning Princess Diana," she said, bowing quickly. "What would like to eat for breakfast?"

    "Good morning," I replied, smiling. "I would like eggs and french toast."

    "Okay, it'll be prepared soon."

    She bowed once again and left, leaving me alone at the long table. I looked around, knowing I must wait a couple of minutes.

    In our dining room hung many picture frames. They were draped all over the walls and consisted of black and white photos of my small family. As I looked around, I noticed most of them were taken before my father's death. It made sense since neither Mother or I were fond of taking pictures with each other.

    My eyes landed on one larger picture and my heart froze, knowing it had been taken the summer before my father's death. I was about thirteen and I looked about the same, except less mature with the baby fat I still had on my face. Father looked the way he always did when he was alive. He was grinning, his warm, brown eyes happy as he kept his arm around Mother and I. His brown hair was tousled messily and he was tall and fit. Thinking about how different he looked on his death bed, my eyes flew to my mother before I could get emotional.

    Mother looked different, much younger too. There were no gray streaks in her hair and her eyes didn't have the hardness they held now. She wasn't smiling in the picture, but she looked happy in the way I realized she once was. Frowning, I realized Mother hadn't always been the person she was today.

    "Diana!"

    I jumped at the voice, whipping my head to see who had called. I fought back a look of surprise as I saw Mother walking to the table, her mouth a grim line. What happened yesterday suddenly flooded back to me, and I felt myself tense as anger rushed into my system.

    "Yes?" I said, watching as she took a seat beside me.

     Raising my eyebrows, I watched as she sat next to me. She usually sat across from me, all the way at the other side of the long table, so I knew something was up.

    "After breakfast, I want you to get cleaned up," Mother said, staring at me with eyes that told me it was final. "You and Prince Philip will have your first date today."

    "Today?" My eyes widened. "I... What?"

   Mother had told me she had set up our date, but I hadn't expected it to happen so fast. I wasn't prepared and the very thought of it made me nauseous. Philip was definitely someone I wasn't comfortable with.

    "Yes," Mother said, her eyes narrowing. "There will be no arguing on this, okay? Do what I say."

    Anger flared up in me, but I knew it was pointless to argue. What Mother said went and she would never listen to me. She had all the power in the world and no one could stop her. I wondered why it took me so long to realize how stubborn she was.