Chapter 16

I wished I hadn't followed Mother. I wished I hadn't been so curious. What I had seen kept replaying in my mind in an endless loop. It was torturing me, creating questions I couldn't answer, and I could barely look at Mother anymore. All I wanted to do was forget.

    It was none of my business, I knew Mother had been right about that. However, I also felt like it was. She was my Mother and she was a mistress. King Henry had a wife and she was sleeping with him. Maybe unintentionally, but she was ruining an entire family. Our own too because I was scarred by what I saw. Stunned because I would never have expected it. That was why I ran to town, hoping to find Alex since Mother was on an 'errand' once again.

    I soon made it to the centre of the town - our usual meeting spot - and I spotted Alex, sitting on the ledge of the fountain. Rushing over to him, I hoped he would make me forget. I hoped he would make the endless loop in my mind stop.

    "Alex!" I exclaimed, running up to him. "Let's go somewhere now!"

    Alex whipped his head to look at me and he looked surprised as I stopped abruptly in front of him. I had to admit, I looked like a mess as I stood in front of him, panting. I felt like a mess, but I also displayed it with my messy hair and lack of make up. If Mother saw me, she'd be angry.

    I shuddered at the thought of Mother and flushed as Alex frowned, looking concerned. He probably thought I was insane.

    "What... Are you okay?" Alex asked.

    "I'm fine," I lied immediately. "But please, let's do something."

    Alex stood up suddenly and he stepped forward, closing off the distance between us. I had to angle my head up higher, trying to meet his eyes as he towered over me. He stared down at me and with gentle eyes, I knew he was trying to figure me out. I wished he wouldn't so he could distract me, so I looked away.

    "Diana, you can talk to me," Alex said quietly. "You should know that by now."

    I knew that, but I also knew I couldn't tell Alex about what I saw. What Mother was doing was huge. It was illegal and if the word got out, the both of our lives would be ruined. And if I had to be completely honest, I didn't want Alex thinking my Mother was some promiscuous woman. He was known to be judgmental in the past, so maybe he would link her actions to me. I felt bad for such thoughts, but I knew no matter what I couldn't tell Alex.

    "I'm okay," I said, looking back at Alex. "Please, let's do something."

    Alex and I stared at each other for a second, and then he nodded. He stepped away from me and shook his head, sighing. I felt guilty suddenly, but there was nothing I could do.

    "I have something I've been planning for us, but I wanted to save it," Alex said. "But I know it'll cheer you up, so let's go."

    Alex turned around as I asked, "Where?"

    "You'll see. I think you'll really like it."

    Alex began to walk off and I followed him, curious. My heart lightened a bit too, realizing he had been thinking of me.

*****

    We stepped into the forest and excitement filled me, knowing I had always wanted to explore the forest surrounding my town. The forest was huge, filled with beautiful, grand, coniferous trees. The leaves were a lovely green and I smiled as we began to walk down a dirt path.