Chapter 19

I was so in love. Giddily, I ran to town, thinking of Alexander and how perfect he was. Even though Philip was still an issue, the kiss Alexander and I shared was all I could think about, so I stayed optimistic about the future we would share.

    I ran into town, ready to apologize to Alex. Knowing I was in love with Alexander, I didn't feel uncomfortable at the thought of Alex. I didn't feel confused anymore and I realized how rude I had been by running off when we were at the lake. So, I knew I had to apologize to him.

    Rushing to the centre of the town, I was surprised to hear music playing. When I reached the usual area, I smiled as I realized a celebration was being held. Since decorations were strung around the surrounding houses and on the fountain, and images were drawn on the ground, I knew it was a festival. They were celebrating something and my smile grew, seeing everyone dancing as if they were one, big family.

    But knowing I was there to find Alex, my eyes began to wander around the scene in front of me in search of Alex. I wasn't sure if he'd be there when people were. Alex was the type of person to prefer isolation, so I frowned, realizing I might possibly have to wait to apologize. Disappointment filled me.

    I was about to turn around and leave, but then I heard someone shout, "Alex, dance!"

    I whipped my head to see who had spoken and spotted an old man, grinning at the tall boy I began to walk towards. Alex was shaking his head, looking tired. Oddly, my heart began to warm up as I neared him, realizing it had been a while since I'd seen him.

    "Alex," I said gently, bringing his attention to me.

    He didn't betray any emotion as he stared at me. His expression was impassive and my heart sunk, missing the smile he had given me the more closer we got.

    "I'm sorry," I blurted out then, wishing things could go back to normal. "I... I shouldn't have ran off that day. I was just surprised and embarrassed, so I acted without thinking. I'll admit I've been avoiding you, but that was because I was just so embarrassed. Please understand that I never meant to hurt you."

    Alex cocked his head to the side, watching as I stared up at him with hopeful eyes. I really wished we could go back to normal. I wanted nothing more than that.

    To my relief, Alex then said, "It's fine. I understand."

    I broke out into a smile and his eyes softened. He wasn't smiling, but I was glad to see there wasn't any hatred in his eyes. Even though that was a long time ago, I still worried that Alex would one day come to hate me again.

    "So, what's going on here?" I asked, wanting to have a fun day with him after everything. "It seems like a festival, but for what?"

    "It's the festival of love," Alex answered, eyes moving to the scene around us. "Today is Valentine's Day."

    I didn't realize that, but it made sense. The decorations were only red and pink, and the drawings on the ground were of hearts and roses. Being single, I hadn't even realized it was Valentine's Day. At the thought of love, my heart fluttered at the thought of Alexander, but then sunk, realizing we couldn't spend it together.

    "Children!" A man suddenly exclaimed, running up to us. "Why aren't you dancing?"

    "Oh," I said, surprised. "I don't really dance..."