We are what we make ourselves

Caelen slipped quietly throughly the darkened hallway, easing the old door open slowly so as to avoid any creaking, she peaked around the edge. "Harry? You awake?" She whispered into the darkness.

Harry squinted trying to make out the small girl. "Caelen? What're you doing up? Where's Remus?" He questioned groggily.

Caelen tiptoed quickly across the room and climbed in next to the teen nestling her head against his shoulder and causing the boy to roll his eyes slightly. The first time she'd climbed up next to him, the summer before at the Weasleys, Harry had fallen out of the bed in surprise; he had since become accustomed to her snugly personality and instead wrapped an arm around her. "What's up Cae?"

She hesitated wringing the edge of the blanket in her hands nervously, "are you scared, about the hearing? Do you think they'll expel you?" Caelen whispered.

His first instinct was to respond bravely, 'of course he wasn't scared they couldn't expel him and he'd be fine' , he knew better than to try though, Caelen always knew. Harry wasn't sure how,maybe it was a werewolf thing Remus seemed unusually perceptive also, maybe it was her past, whatever the reason the girl saw right through him; she always picked up on the emotions of those around her. The boy sighed in defeat, "yeah I'm scared, if I get expelled, if they take my wand, I'll have nothing I'll have to go back to the Durselys on my own and they're terrible. I'm worried about Voldemort too, what he has up his sleeve."

"You have more than just magic Harry!" The girl argued in an irritated tone, reminiscent of a certain potions professor's exasperated drawl. "You have uncle Sirius, and daddy, the Weasleys, and me. You're not alone Harry, even if they take your wand you still have family."

Harry squeezed her into a tight hug, "thanks Cae, now where's your dad at?"

"He said he had something important he had to tell Dumbledore. Guess he'll be back soon he left a couple hours ago." Caelen shrugged as if it didn't matter, they both knew it did.

The pair continued to whisper for a time, talking about their summers so far and Harry's frustration at his seclusion. Caelen still felt awful for her treatment of Sirius on her birthday and hoped she'd be able to make it up to him. Harry reassured her their shared godfather wouldn't hold something she said when she was upset against her. Late into the night Harry carried the, finally, sleeping girl to her room and tucked her messily into bed.

He backed slowly into the hall letting out a startled yelp upon colliding with a solid form behind him. "Oh professor Lupin! You startled me!" Harry gasped in shock.

"Sorry," his ex professor apologized, "I'm no longer your professor Harry you can call me Remus. Was Caelen keeping you up?"

"I think she was having trouble getting to sleep." He replied hoping to get information from Remus about Dumbledore.

The man looked guiltily towards the closed bedroom door, "ah yes, well thank you for looking after her Harry. I fear there may be more nights like this coming, Dumbledore has another mission for me."

"Like last time?" the boy questioned quietly. "Caelen told me you were gone for months and nearly died.."

"Yes well I hope to avoid another occurrence like that, and I should be checking in at least once weekly, but yes I'll be rejoining the werewolves." Either he noticed Harry's mutinous expression or he was trying to defend his decision to himself, whatever the case Remus' next words came in a tone pleading for understanding. "I've made good headway with them Harry. Three of the younger werewolves could be very close to joining the order; I just can't back away now. Don't mention this to Sirius, he won't understand and I don't care to argue the matter with him. I may well be gone before you get up tomorrow, if so I hope everything go's well at your hearing."