Nuts

Remus approached the door cautiously, glancing back at Sirius once more before flinging the door open, wand held in a defensive stance. A tall dark haired woman stood silently smirking on the other side of the door.

"Nuts!" Sirius shouted, barreling down the stairs and engulfing the woman. "It's been ages what're you doing here?!"

" star!" The woman mouthed the word silently in reply, rolling her eyes in amusement and wiggling her arms helplessly where Sirius' excited embrace had pinned them to her sides.

"Sirius her hands..." Remus pointed out pulling his old friend free and shutting the door. "It's good to see you Nuntis, what brings you by?"

Nuntis scowled reaching around and whacking Remus in the back of the head before rapidly signing, "were you going to tell me you had a kid Remus?! Honestly I'm shopping in diagon alley and I overhear this Weasley, knew she was a Weasley right away the red hair of course, woman discussing Remus Lupin and his precious little girl!"

Remus had the good sense to look guilty, "uh, sorry Nun, been a bit busy you know, harboring a fugitive, fighting Voldemort..."

"Raising a daughter.." Sirius supplied unhelpfully.

Nuntis made a gesture as if Sirius had proven her point while Remus glared at the other man. "Not helping Sirius," he grumbled.

Sirius smirked leading the woman to the plush sofa.

"So, when did you have a kid? Where is she?" Nuntis signed quickly, her eyes alight with excitement.

"Caelen's asleep upstairs," Sirius supplied with a fond smile, "long full moon night and all..." Both men glanced at each other guiltily, the movement going unmissed by the attentive woman.

"The pair of you still being idiots I see," she remarked with an eye roll. She was met by matching blank expressions. "I'll just go check on her shall I?"

--

Caelen sat quietly, snuggled into her softest pajamas in the center of her bed wondering if she should open Harry's present now or wait. A soft knock drew her attention to the slightly open doorway. She shrank back nervously at the sight of the unfamiliar woman before Sirius popped up behind her.

"Hey puppy, this is Nuts," he began as he sat on the edge of the bed pulling the clearly uncertain child into his arms, "she's a friend of your dad's and mine from when we were in Hogwarts."

Caelen smiled tentatively at the silent figure, "nice to meet you Nuts."

The woman grinned before signing something to Sirius, earning a puzzled expression from Caelen. "Nuts says it's nice to meet you too and I'm her favorite." He translated with a large smirk.

Caelen glanced between them before whispering, "she didn't really say you're her favorite did she?"

Nuntis' body shook with silent laughter and she made her way cautiously toward the bed, pulling out a dark leather bound notebook as she went. "Hello Caelen, my name is actually Nuntis and you're right I didn't say Sirius was my favorite, Remus was always the more likable of the pair." She wrote in a beautiful script before passing the book to the little girl.

Caelen giggled poking her godfather, "see I knew she hadn't said that!"

Sirius huffed, standing quickly as if offended before turning to wink reassuringly at the child. "I'm going to go downstairs and magic some dinner, don't be telling her tales Nuts!"

The woman smirked sticking her tongue out at the retreating Black. "So little one, tell me about yourself?"

Caelen glanced from the words scrawled into the notebook and back up to the woman's face. "Should I write in there too or can I just talk?" She questioned uncertainly.