✗ eighteen ✗

HARRY

After painfully having to deal with a surprise trip to Australia and a meeting with the ever so talkative Niall Horan, I'm free for my evening with Shay

We had left work in silence and it was present all throughout the drive that she was upset about the trip. When we stopped at her place to grab the last of her stuff she had said less then ten words to me.

It's physically killing me to see her in such way, but hopefully what I'm going to tell her during dinner will make her smile.

I don't want to leave her alone here; in fact I need her by my side. It's as if I depend on her, more than I have before. So I had made my decision final when I booked two first classes tickets to the sunny Sydney, Australia.

We were both getting ready to go, more so Shay than I, because I had finished about ten minutes ago and am now waiting on her. I stand before the mirror in the foyer of my home, fixing my tie for what seems like the fiftieth time since I put it on not thirty minutes ago. I'm nervous.

I've been on plenty of first dates in my lifetime, so I'm an old pro. Normally I wouldn't be so nervous though, but with Shay it's like I have to prove to her that I'm good enough. It sounds odd, but it's my fear.

The girls I've dated in the past have been nothing like Shay. They weren't as beautiful, as funny, and none of them made me feel the way Shay does. I'd take those girls out for a meal and then we'd head on over to a club, but then nothing after that. I couldn't find that one person that I've been looking for, until now it seems.

"Shay!" I call out over my shoulder, not wanting to rush her but also not wanting to be late for our reservation.

"I'm right here."

I'm startled as her voice wafts from the place right behind me and I spin around, immediately meeting eyes with her.

A gasp involuntarily leaves my lips as I look her up and down. She wears a gorgeous orange dress, which hangs somewhat loose over her front and looks delightful against her tan skin. The fabric falls just below her knees and she has paired the dress with some nude pumps. Her hair is pulled up into a bun, with a couple strands falling at the corners of her face. Shay holds her Michael Kors' handbag dear to her side like it's her lifeline, causing me to smile wider.

I couldn't picture anything more beautiful.

"Wow," I breathe out, not bothering to even sound remotely cool in the moment, I'm too taken away by her looks, "you look gorgeous." I compliment. Shay's cheeks redden immediately and she diverts her eyes from me, looking anywhere else around the room. "Don't be shy." I say, stepping towards her so that I'm standing right in front of her.

"I don't know why I'm so nervous." She admits.

"Don't worry, I feel the same way." Shay's eyes meet mine and I have to force myself not to lean down and press my lips against her lips. I've wanted to kiss her for so long and I just haven't been able to. Maybe tonight will finally be the night. "I mean it, you look very beautiful."