✗ thirty-five ✗

✗ super long chapter ✗ hope you all enjoy ✗

SHAY

15 July

Banquet day, the day Harry and I have both been yearning for and dreading at the same time.

All the stress that's gone into today has worked us both into tired, cranky crabs. We had to leave work early and take naps at the house for a few hours before we had to get ready just to keep us going. Louis and Anne repeatedly told us during lunch that they had every thing under control, that the two of us could focus on actual work and just show up at eight sharp.

Easier said than done.

As soon as Harry and I laid down in bed my phone, and Harry's, began ringing off the hook. Melissa had questions for me about some simple assignments, Cameron had questions for Harry about the upcoming expense reports, Louis had ten minutes to spare which meant he tried to bug the shit out of us, and I had gotten a couple of phone calls from my mother.

I, of course, ignored my mum's calls figuring it was about damn time that she called to make me feel bad about myself. Usually after a fight she's the first to cave in and come crawling back, thinking I'll fall victim to her words and do whatever she says. Well, this time I decided it's different. This time I'm not going to be that victim.

We ended up getting about three hours of sleep during the sun's highest point in the sky before waking and beginning to get ready. I had taken an extra long and hot shower to ease my aching body and shave my legs so they're silky smooth underneath my dress. I don't care if it's a gown; I still care about my own bodily hygiene.

Harry offered to get ready in the bathroom upstairs that way we could both take our time and get ready. After my shower I did my hair, trying out a new hairstyle that I found on Pinterest. It didn't turn out as perfect as I had hoped, but it looks good enough for a banquet.

Now I'm standing deep within Harry and I's shared closet, where I had placed the gown and its dress bag before my shower. It's still sealed tightly. It hasn't been opened since the store, hiding away from the light around it, as well as Harry's curious eyes. I'm rather glad he hasn't seen the dress yet. I want his first time seeing it to be on my body.

I unzip the dress bag quickly and take the royal blue fabric out of its hiding space, smiling at it as I hold the gown up. The colour shines beautifully under the glow of the light in the closet and I want more than ever to have this on my body.

I remember being timid when Gemma saw it on the mannequin, saying that it was so great for my skin tone although it wasn't quite what I had in mind for this banquet. But what can I say? I fell in love.

I snatch the silver sandal pumps off the ground after I've slid the dress on and make my way to the bed, sitting down upon the neat duvet before putting the shoes on. Once the shoes are on my feet, I stand and walk to the body length mirror at the edge of the room, gasping lightly.