✗ fifty-six ✗

A/N: Do keep in mind that I am technically from the States so I'm not 100% sure how the court systems work in the U.K.. So enjoy the next few court room chapters!

SHAY

4 October

"Darling?" I can hear Harry calling my relatively new nickname from across the room at the doorway.

Normally, I'd send him a cheeky grin before standing tall and wrapping my arms round his torso. But today I just can't bring myself to do so, I can hardly bring myself to move a muscle. My body remains too numb to even bring my eyes from my clammy hands holding protectively my twenty-six week bump.

The dread and fear rule my body, taking charge of my thoughts, emotions, and actions. I can't feel my legs, but I know they're there because I can see them, unless the fear deceives me. My hands shake and sweat as if I've been working out for hours. The only body part that I can feel moving isn't actually my body part to move at all.

I can't take any of the credit; it's all on her.

She began kicking one night a couple weeks ago, giving both Harry and I a fright. In the end, waking after midnight and staying up for two hours just to admire her movements was definitely worth it.

"Love?"

"Huh?"

I do little to actually acknowledge his presence within the room, but still make more of a connection than last time.

This time I have the mere strength to pull my eyes from my stomach and spot Harry stood before me with Detective Briar at the door. No amount of prep could ready me for this moment and there is no shying away now.

"It's time."

With Detective Briar's announcement Harry kneels before my distraught body, placing a hand on my knee and the other on my cheek. His thumb wipes a single tear from my skin, bringing the realization that'd I've been crying to the surface.

"I don't know if I can do this." I whimper quietly like a child and grab Harry's hand, holding it tightly to me. "I'm... I'm so scared."

No one likes to admit they're scared, at least no one in their right mind.

Some, like my parents, see it as cowardly and frown upon it. For me, it's like a sign that I'm letting my attacker get to me, that I'm allowing him to control my emotions and drag me down into the darkness of depression.

However, right now it seems to be the only emotion I can think to admit aloud. Again, the dread and fear rule me. I'm their bloody puppet and I can't break free, no matter how hard I try.

"I know, Shay. I know you're scared and I know that you're feeling quite lousy right now. But, baby, I'll be right with the entire step of the way. You are the strongest person that I know and you can do this. After today you will never have to relive that night or see his ugly mug ever again. We can live as close to normal as we possibly can." His words bring the slightest of smiles to my lips, which in turn cause Harry to smile.

"I just want this all to be over."

"After today, it will be. Shay, I promise."

"Okay." I say with a large sigh.

Harry helps me stand to my feet and takes my bag off the ground, holding it for me. I take a hold of Harry's outstretched hand as we follow Detective Briar out of the office I've been sat in for like two hours now and down the corridor towards the courtroom.

We remain silent as we approach the courtroom, where my lawyer awaits the three of us at the door. I know she's the best in London and she shows it by the way she dresses. Her pleated skirt and professional blazer tailor to her legal attire as her glasses perch upon the end of her nose. Harry had hired her the first day he could, searching all over the city for the best lawyer he could get his hands on. Fawn Roberts is just that, the best lawyer in all of London.