✗ fifty-two ✗

A/N: The chapters from here on out are going to be quite a bit shorter than you're used to, BUT that's what two updates per week are for! Enjoyyyyy

SHAY

9 September

"Would you mind getting the door?" Louis calls to me from his spot upstairs in the lounge as I sit at the dining table with my laptop open

"Would you mind getting the door?" Louis calls to me from his spot upstairs in the lounge as I sit at the dining table with my laptop open. A sigh leaves my parted lips at his request, though I am closer and I am able to do so, I just don't feel the urge to go and answer the door.

Harry's been gone for less than twenty-four hours and I'm already struggling like he's been gone for an entire month. I slept like absolute shite last night, tossing and turning and crying and pouting. I've been up since around half five, completely given up on trying to sleep any longer, three hours was long enough. I've buried myself up in work since his departure, finding that it's the only thing to fill the empty void he's left me with.

When I was all on my own before the incident and before Harry and I, I buried myself in work to fill the void of loneliness. I didn't have a boyfriend, I didn't spend time with my "loving" family, and my only friend was apparently doing body shots off of foreign guys' navels along the coast of South Africa.

Work and I go along together like two peas in a pod. It distracts me, makes me somehow oddly happy, and allows my brain to do something other than daydream all day long. The only downside about my work being a distraction now is that all work pertains to the man that I'm trying so desperately to forget about for a short period of time.

The only communication I've had with Harry since he left was a couple text messages saying he loves me and misses me dearly, already which were received right after the car pulled out of sight, and a message at half nine in the evening saying that he arrived in Dubai and was currently waiting for his next plane to Sydney. Other than that he should land near one in the afternoon London time, which is about two hours away.

"Shay, the door!" Louis shouts from out of sight. I find myself standing just in front of the door, daydreaming about the man I'm trying not to daydream about. Apparently, I've left the person who's at my door just stand there for a good five minutes.

I quickly unlock the door and pull it open wide, placing a smile on my lips to greet the person, or should I say persons, on the other side. A loud girlish squeal of my name causes me to jump slightly before two small arms are wrapped around my waist. I gaze down at the girl, the grin on my lips growing as the temptation to think about Harry lessens.

"Lux, how are you?" I wonder, dropping down to a knee so that I'm closer to the five year old's height. She smiles back at me before wrapping her thin arms around my neck and squeezing me as tight as can be. I hug her back, glad for the soothing contact of a hug.

"I'm good." She answers once pulling from our embrace. She tells me in short about the drive over here saying that she saw a man accidently pour coffee on himself and that it was very funny. She also shows me that her mum allowed her to wear lipstick this morning because Lux had begged non-stop. I laughed at the little girl, secretly hoping my little girl will grow up to be like her.

"Hi Shay."

My attention is pulled from the little girl to her mother who is standing in the doorway, completely forgotten. Her silvery hair cascades down a bit longer than her shoulders and she wears identical lipstick to the girl holding my hand and helping me as I stand. I even take in, now that I'm standing, that the two are wearing matching flower crowns upon their heads

"Hey Lou, it's lovely to see you again. Please, come in." I say, stepping out of the way for the two girls to enter.

Lux practically runs into the house, shouting for Louis, whom I assume called the two here in the first place. Before I know it the small girl has run up the steps and I hear her telling Louis the same thing she told me only seconds prior.

"Shay, you are absolutely glowing. When Harry told me about the baby I just couldn't believe it. I can't believe we're not young anymore." I laugh and agree with her. It seems like only yesterday I was hiding from my nanny and causing a mess 'round the house.

"Well, thank you so much. We're very excited, Harry and I."

I don't know if Harry's told Lou the real reason behind the pregnancy, but I have a feeling she doesn't know. I guess if Harry wants to tell the woman the real reason behind it then I'll be okay with it. The two are very close and Lou is a mother so she'd be a good person to talk to.

"How far along are you?"

"Twenty-two weeks." I say, placing my hands on my stomach and glancing down at it. "We had our twenty week appointment, or there abouts, and gender reveal a few days ago so we're both very happy."

Lou smiles at me and nods towards my stomach, slowly reaching her hands out. I remove my hands and allow her to place her hands on top of my rounded stomach. I'm not really one for other people touching my stomach, besides Harry, but what's the harm in this. Lou is an experienced mother and very close friend to Harry.

"So, boy or girl?"

"Girl." Lou gasps and brings me in for a hug, the first hug we've shared the two of us.

"That is so exciting."

I thank her and lead her into the kitchen as I explain to her that Harry is possibly more excited than I at this point, if possible, and that I am eager to feel her kick and very content about everything. I share with her that I do wish Harry were here to have told her the news, but she assures me that he won't care or that he can suck it up if he does care.

"When are you due?"

"The date is the twenty-seventh of January."

"Oooo near Harry's birthday!" I laugh and agree with Lou as I put my work things away.

"Harry thinks that I have a say in how long I hold her in me. He seems to think that she'll be born on his birthday, like okay Harry, I'll just keep her in me for an extra week. I'm not sure if he gets how pregnancy and birth really work."

"That sounds like Harry, always trying to control things."

"So, what brings you and Lux by today? I take it Louis rang you to get your bums over to the new place whilst Harry is away?" Lou laughs and shrugs her shoulders as she takes a gander around the lower level of our new house.

"Louis thought you could use a little bit of a distraction whilst Harry's away, says you've been moping about." I roll my eyes and mentally curse Louis out. I just hope he hasn't gone as far as to leave Harry an extended email about my emotional, mental, and physical condition. I feel he'd be one to snitch to Harry behind my back about things, like any good friend I suppose.

"He caught me rummaging 'round the kitchen at two in the morning for a glass of water, practically shoved me back in bed as if he were my boyfriend instead of Harry. The man has taught his friend well unfortunately. I feel like a child sometimes." I say, chuckling to myself.

I can only imagine the set of rules that Harry gave Louis on his behalf. There's probably a list somewhere in this house hidden from my eyes.

"Louis actually thought it'd be nice for the four of us to grab lunch together today. I'd give us plenty of time to get to know each other and I know Lux has just been dying to sit and talk with you again."

When I first met Lux I was a nervous wreck around kids, but now I feel so much more confident around them. Watching her that one night and then taking her to the zoo helped tremendously. I can see why Harry loves her so much.

"Lunch actually sounds really wonderful. It'll keep me from checking the clock every five minutes to see if Harry's landed yet."

"Trust me, he'll call as soon as he lands. The man can't stand being away from you for five seconds."