Decisions

The walk to the beach is a silent one. There's an unknown tension floating around Jake and I as we walk along the path. We finally come to the fallen log where we usually gather at the beach and I sit down, waiting for his explanations.

"I'm sorry things got out of hand back there. I didn't want it to be that messy." He says as he sits next to me, running his hand through his hair.

"You probably caught on from Sam's yelling, but he made you off limits to all of us..." He adds air quotes around made and I frown in confusion.

"He can't make me off limits to anyone–"

"Actually, he can. He's the alpha of the pack; therefore his commands have to be obeyed by all of us. It's something we can't fight, unless of course it's overridden by an imprint." He mutters , and now I'm curious as to why...?

"An imprint? You mean like Sam and Emily?"

"Yeah like them. It uh.. it's something we all can't go against." He runs his hands through his hair with a sigh.

"The other wolves, they have an innate.. responsibility, I guess is the right word, to not only protect their imprint, but the other guys' imprint as well. Meaning they can ignore the commands in order to help or protect an imprint." He says and I'm still slightly confused as to where this is going.

"Sam..he told us guys that you were 'off-limits', he didn't want you mixed up in the craziness. He thought none of us imprinted on you until Jared's big mouth told him."

"But why is it such a bad thing to be imprinted on? From what Sam told me, it's the ultimate type of love and devotion." Voicing my confusion, Jake finally meets my eyes.

"It is a lot like that. But we are also in the middle of an issue with these bloodsuckers... If they were to learn about our imprints, it would put you guys in a lot of danger. And then everyone would get hurt." He says sighing again, becoming frustrated.

"So, you imprinted on me? That's why Sam got so upset?" Looks like I'll have to talk to my uncle, let him know I'm okay with all of this.

"Yeah... Yeah, he thought you would be able to stay out of all this.. I would understand if you agreed with him, I know this stuff is crazy—"

"Agree with him on what? Wanting to stay on the sidelines while the lot of you risk your lives?" I say standing up, frustrated with all this news..

"I don't think so. I'm also not going to push aside whatever friendship or..or imprint we have. I'm sorry if that's too brash, but I'm tired of being the sad little girl from Sydney. I can make my own choices." I stop pacing and look back at Jake who's just staring at me in what I think is awe..

"Sorry...I–I didn't mean to rant at you. I'm just so tired of people making the choices for me." I sigh and he jumps up, gently grabbing my elbows with a smile.

"Don't ever be sorry Addy. I-I appreciate your fire. Not a lot of girls I know have it.. It's a nice change of pace. And I mean, I don't want you agreeing with this if it's just to go against Sam—"

"Why would you think I'm doing it to smite Sam? I would never use you or anybody like that.." I say with confusion, not knowing why he would think that...

"I know, it's just— You know, nevermind. I'm sorry to assume like that." He says with a smile, which I return.

"Don't worry about it. I understand. So, this imprint?" I slightly clear my throat, a bit awkward about this.

"It can be whatever you want. We–we can just keep it like it has been the last couple of months? It's solely up to you."

He says suddenly focusing on his hands which fiddle with each other nervously. I enclose his hands with both of mine making him look to me.

"Let's just see where things go, yeah?"

"Y-yeah okay." He says with a smile that mirrors mine.

We begin to head back to Sam's place, a big weight seemingly lifted off of Jake's shoulders, and I just hope there isn't another ugly fight once we get home...

*Hello!! I am so sorry this has been forever since I updated. I'm finally on break from UNI so I'll be able to update more! Thank you all for sticking with me! :) I hope you like it!