Life Without You

After the whole ordeal with my mother, a couple weeks ago, Jake has been interesting..I guess would be a good word? He's been hovering..always at my side throughout the day, and if he's gotta run patrols, one of the other boys is tasked with the job. Now, normally I wouldn't mind it, but he also has seemed distant or always lost in thought and I'm not so sure what could be harboring all his attention like this. I'm afraid that after what my mother did, it might be triggering some sort of doubt in his mind about my love for him...and that worries me.

Knowing I need an outsiders opinion, I decide to walk the short distance to the Clearwater's place and ask Leah for help. After her father died, I was surprised when she reached out to me, needing someone to talk to, who would understand without giving her pity, and that's what I did. Since then we've become really good friends bonding over that loss, and anyways, I needed an opinion other than Emily's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Emily and she's done more for me and my uncle than I could ever thank her for, I just need to talk to someone who's known Jake longer, and won't be afraid to be honest about what's on her mind. Knocking on the front door, I ring my hands together in nervousness as I wait for someone to answer the door, and thankfully I don't have to wait long.

"Hey Addy!" Seth greets me, pulling me into a tight hug, his strength rivaling that of my boyfriend's.

"How are you Seth?" I smile as he lets me go. My love for this kid just seems to grow every time I'm around him.

"Oh, I'm good! Just glad, that school is finally over, ya know? How are you, Ads?" His excitement over the summer time is tangible as it rolls off of him in waves, easily contagious.

"I'm alright, Seth. Is Leah home--?"

"Seth, who-- Addy!" Leah smiles from the small staircase in their small house, quickly coming to embrace me in another hug, pulling back with a knowing look, no doubt feeling my tension.

"Leah, can we talk?" I say, chewing on the inside of my cheek, my nerves getting the best of me. She nods instantly, grasping my hand in her much warmer one, pulling me up the stairs.

"I'll talk to you later Seth, sorry!" I throw a smile back in his direction and he just waves me off with a smile, so I know he isn't too upset by our short encounter.

"Alright Ads." She begins, shutting the door to her bedroom and I'm enveloped in the feeling of home her room gives off. Between the neutral colors and her own pictures of the forest surrounding our houses, with random pictures of her family and even a couple of photos with the two of us together, I know I made the right choice to bring this to Leah. "What's going on?"

"It's Jake.. I don't know what's going on, but he's been acting weird ever since we came back from Vancouver... He's been hovering, which I could understand, but whenever it's just the two of us, he gets weird, weirder than Jake usually is." I add with a small laugh as she raises an eyebrow, telling me just how weird she thinks my boyfriend really is.

"And I can't tell if he's trying to distance himself from me because he doubts my love for him after I had to leave? O-Or he's upset that I left so easily, and didn't fight to stay..but I had to go! My mother is crazy enough, and she threatened to have Sam arrested.. I just..." Everything I've bottled up for the last couple of weeks just comes tumbling out, my anxiety gaining its control as I run my hands through my hair so many times, Leah has to grab them in fear of me pulling my own hair out, and even then my hands strain against each other, attempting to squeeze some sort of feeling into them.

"Adelaide, stop. You're going to break your hands if you squeeze any harder." Leah comforts, gently releasing my hands from each other and keeping them gently in hers. "I think, you're looking way too far into this. Jake loves you, imprint or not, but he isn't one to get upset over silly things, otherwise the boy wouldn't have very many friends. That's one of Jake's best qualities, but also one that gets him into trouble often. His heart is too big and most people take advantage of it." We both knew she was talking about Bella, and I nod in agreement, that was the one thing that made me love Jake even more was his heart.