What To Fight For

~Jake's P.O.V.~

Sam gathers us all in the living room, to fill us in on the morning patrol. Seems the red headed bloodsucker is back, and taunting us by going between the treaty line, again...

I'm still trying to quiet my anger at Bella, trying not to be obviously upset, but I'm worried. Bella has been acting so strange lately, that it wouldn't surprise me if she told Addy about this, to cause doubt in Adelaide's mind...

My train of thought is suddenly halted by a blistering, white-hot pain in the back of my skull, causing me to cry out at its abruptness and grab at the spot on my head.

"Jake? What's the matter?"

I barely hear Embry, who sounds like he's down a well and not right next to me. I let out another grunt before my healing factor kicks in and the pain begins to diminish slightly.

"Jake?" Sam's voice finally rings clear enough, and I'm finally able to open my eyes.

"I—I don't know what happened.... I was fine, and then my head..." My eyes widen as I suddenly get the feeling to go find Addy... That's she in trouble..the reason for my pain.

"It's Addy." I simply state as I jump out of my seat heading for the back door, not wanting to waste any time.

"Jake what do you mean it's...." I hear Sam trail off, but know he's figured it out as I hear the tearing of clothing, quickly following his lead.

"Okay, I'm lost."

I hear Quil chime in as he shifts, and thankfully Sam explains because I'm too focused on finding my imprint.

"Adelaide's in trouble. Jake was able to feel her pain through the imprint. Pay attention for anything strange."

Sam's voice is frantic with worry, but I barely hear them. The forest is a blur around me as I sprint through the trees trying to see her until my nose catches the scent and it almost stops me in my tracks, but causes me to run faster.

Blood.

I quickly veer to where the scent is the strongest, hoping to god we aren't too late, and skid to a halt as I come up on a scene that chills my blood.

Adelaide lays crumpled at the base of a wide Red Wood tree, the side of her face pressed to the forest floor, and she almost looks like she's sleeping. I hurriedly shift back, barely giving any time to put my shorts on correctly, before kneeling at her side.

Being closer, I now see the dark crimson soaking her hair at the back of her head, the sticky substance sticking the strands together. Through my shock, I check to make sure she's still breathing, and sigh in relief when I feel the shallow breaths.

I gently pick her up, careful not to move or touch her head and turn around to see Sam tense and in pain at the sight of his niece. There's a howl nearby, and I guess I didn't notice the stench before, but it's the warning for bloodsucker. My anger begins to boil again, knowing it was the damn redheaded bloodsucker that did this.

A small sound of pain sounds from the girl in my arms, causing my anger to quickly dissipate and I head back to Sam's house, hoping Em can call Sue quickly, knowing the others will take care of it.

"Em! Call Sue! And grab me a towel!" I yell as I kick open the back door.

I somehow am able to clear the couch of the pillows and gently lay her on her side, as Em throws me a towel. I gently place a pillow with the towel under her head, and run to grab some ice. I riffle through the kitchen for something to hold the ice as I see Em nervously talk with Sue.

"Jake, what happened?"

"It was the bloodsucker. As far as I can tell, it's just her head, but I know Sue knows more." Emily just nods chattering quickly into the phone before hanging it up.

Emily comes to kneel beside Addy, checking her over in more detail and so I back up slightly to give her space. My mind begins to reel as the throbbing returns to the back of my head, and I try not to get angry again, sitting beside Addy helps.

"You said, th–the vampire did this?" Emily looks between the two of us, and I just simply nod, sighing before I answer.

"Yeah, the guys caught the scent when we got there. I didn't even catch it... I just needed to make sure she was alright..." I trail off, anguish washing over me.

This is my fault. I knew the bloodsuckers would come after her, anything to distract us from protecting Bella... At the thought, I finally register that she's still somewhere in the house, and look up to see her sitting awkwardly at the table in the kitchen.

"Jake, take her home." Sam says firmly from my side, and I didn't even realize he had come to stand beside me at Adelaide's side.

"She can walk home Sam.. I can't leave—" I mumble, not even looking at Sam, transfixed on the rise and fall of Addy's chest.

"You know that's not an option Jake. It's alright, she'll be alright." Sam says gently, placing a hand on my shoulder, as I sigh at the truth in his words.

"Let's go Bella." I mumble walking past her to my bike and getting on, not waiting to see if she follows.

She shyly gets on, having the brains not to say anything to me, which I'm thankful for as the bike roars to life. We make the quick trip to the line between Forks and La Push, and surprisingly Edward is there, and I can't help the flashes of what happened at the beach as they go through my mind.

I pull up soundlessly in front of  the bloodsucker, waiting for Bella to get off the bike so I can get back to Addy. I didn't even see the look of pain cross Edward's face, because as soon as Bella is off the bike, I accelerate quickly heading back not wanting to deal with that.

**Hello!! I'm back with the story! I'm sorry it's been so long, but I've been busy and am hoping to be able to update more often! Hope you all enjoy it, and thank you for sticking with me!! :)