Noise

Deaf!Nico requested by  EverPercaLangelo10
Trigger?

Nico blinked, trying to clear his blurred gaze. Someone was leaning over him, their lips moving frantically, but the only thing he registered was a high ringing in his ears. He squinted at them, and the medic slapped their forehead, lips moving with the word that looked like 'Duh!', but Nico couldn't be sure.
The person above tried moving him, but Nico screamed, and even to him his voice was muffled, but he was in to much pain to notice. The medic above him waved people over, and the last thing Nico saw before the world went dark was people surrounding him, and a plastic mask being placed over his nose.

Nico woke up in a silent bright white room. He looked around, squinting at the light, and Nico looked down at himself, his leg feeling heavy, to see it was in a cast, and raised above his heart. His left arm was in a sling, and his head pounded. He glanced to his right, and saw the heart monitor next to the bed - shouldn't that be making noise? Nico pushed the panic away, looking next to him, feeling warmth. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. There was a blond next to him, shoulders shaking with sobs. So then why couldn't he hear the noise?
"Will?" Nico wasn't even sure he'd spoken, and it scared him.
The blond looked up, so he must have made a noise. The tear filled blue eyes crinkled as the blond let out a relieved laugh - that Nico still couldn't hear.
The boy's lips moved, and Nico instinctively tried to follow them, and failed.
"Will, stop, wait, I can't hear you."
Will looked at him in confusion, before his face cleared. He reached to the bedside table, grabbing a white board, and an Expo marker.
Nico, you're deaf
Nico's mouth went dry, "What? How!?" Will shook his head, scribbling something down, giving him an apologetic look, and handed over the board.
Nico, I can't understand you, you can't hear yourself, so. . .
Nico wanted to burst into tears, and the blond climbed onto the bed, gathering the younger male in his arms.
How? Nico wrote, looking up at Will.
Bomb. Will wrote, and Nico was thrown into a whirl of memories;
Checking into the hotel, Will already at the hospital he was volunteering at, and being halfway to the elevators with his and Will's stuff before there was a loud noise, and then - nothing. Nothing but silence. Nico hadn't realized he was sobbing, until he was pulled back to the white room, and the warmth of Will's arms.

That was three years ago. Nico groaned, once again having to relive that with a nightmare. He felt the bed shaking, and immediately scrambled to turn off the alarm. He winced, hoping it hadn't been going for long, knowing Will hated the bed shaker.
He took a deep breath, glancing to make sure Will was still asleep. He wasn't. Nico grimaced as the blond looked at him tiredly.
Sorry. Nico signed.
It's OK, Will signed back, smiling gently, before dropping his head back on the pillow. Nico placed a kiss on the blonde's forehead, and when he saw the brilliant blue eyes still opened, he flashed an I love you, to which the blond smiled.

Nico got up, New York unusually quiet - as it usually was for any deaf person.
Nico grabbed a pair of clean boxers, and walked into the bathroom, pulling off his sweatpants and turning on the water. He chucked off his boxers, climbing in, and tilting his head back, still irrationally hoping to hear the rush of water in his ears. But there was nothing but the constant dull high pitched ringing.

Nico climbed out, wrapping a towel around his waist, drying off before yanking the boxers on, and grabbing a smaller towel. He dried his ears, and gently used a q-tip to do the same on the inside, before slipping on his cochlear implants, and attaching the magnet to its pair that was implanted under his skin behind his ears. Nico couldn't help but sigh with relief, the world immediately swirling with so many different sounds.

He walked out of the bathroom, to see his blond boyfriend sitting up on the edge of the bed. Nico frowned, walking over.
"What's wrong?"
Will startled, looking up, smiling gently. "Nothing, it's OK."
Nico almost melted. He had missed the sound of Will's voice, and was so happy that it was the first thing he heard, after he went through with the surgery a couple months ago.
I don't believe you. But sometimes it was easier to sign.
Will rolled his eyes, smiling fondly. Just tired. We had a late night.
Will grinned, meaning the engagement party for Hazel and Frank - boy, that had been a fun conversation for Nico when Frank asked him. Nico smirked at the thought, before shaking his head.
"I'm sorry about the bed shaker, I know you hate it, but I can't sleep with my hearing aids." Nico stood between Will's legs, looking down at the blond for once.
"It's OK, seriously. I know." Will reached up, tugging Nico's head down to kiss him. Nico grinned kissing back. Will fell backwards, forcing Nico to fall with him. Nico yelped at the sudden movement, blushing as Will tugged him closer, turning them onto their sides. Will ran his hand through Nico's hair, careful to avoid the electrical devices. Nico pulled away, resting his head on Will's chest, smiling.

"I love you." Will said, and Nico grinned, remembering why he got the surgery in the first place - to hear, and be able to verbally say, I love you, from and to the boy he loved.
"I love you too."

So, this is NOT, I repeat, NOT a promotion or encouragement towards cochlear implants. There are a lot of other ways to deal with deafness, but a lot of people who could hear before they went deaf get cochlears.
Please don't feel as though I'm forcing the idea of getting one if you're deaf, because honestly, it's not always the right choice.

I know a couple things in this are incorrect, including that Will wouldn't be able to understand Nico right after he goes deaf, because he actually would be able to, the issue only being Nico's volume - Nico already knows how to form words and sounds, he just can't hear himself.

So I apologize if I insult anyone, that is not my intention.
I know more about this subject than I portray, and always cringe when I reread, and see how incorrect things are, but am to lazy to change. So again, I apologize.
That's all! Thanks for reading!