Chapter 28. Hunger.

Jacob had a plan. He didn't want me with him, Leah and Seth. So I would be joining Esme, Carlisle and Emmett as some more muscle just in case we encounter some unexpected circumstances. Now I wouldn't go as far at to say Jacob knew I was going with them, but you know. A girl has to protect her friends, and Carlisle is also the only one who can keep Bella alive and deliver that thing. As soon as it's out, if Bella dies, they break the treaty and Sam will have an excuse to kill them all. 

This is one battle I can't stay away from. They are all my family, I can't abandon them. I need to show Mason to stand up for what he believes in no matter what anyone thinks. And sometimes that means sticking up to the people you love most.

"You sure you want to come?"

"Don't worry Emmett, I'll keep you alive" Emmett laughed and rolled his eyes at me. On the outside I was witty, on the inside I was shaking. 

"Let's go" I ran out the door side by side with the Cullen's but I'd have to phase to keep up. Time to try a new trick I'd learnt. Phasing mid-air. Hopefully it works and I don't just belly flop back onto the ground. I leapt into the air while still running and used all my concentration to phase into my wolf form and then keep running without falling down. 

I could already hear some wolves approaching. They don't really waste any time do they? I kept to the back with Esme, she was clearly the slower of the bunch, she'd be the first to get picked off. Run Esme, they're gaining.

I pushed myself, determined to keep the Cullen's safe. They wouldn't want to hurt any of the pack so I would have to take one for the team and attack if I have to. 

I wonder how Jake is going talking to the pack, it would be hard to face them when they're like this. 

A giant wolf appeared out of nowhere and knocked Esme over. Crap, I got distracted. I skidded to a halt and ran down the hill after the other wolves who were going after Esme's falling body. 

Don't you dare touch her. She is the most lovely person I've ever known. They had her backed into a corner. I could see Emmett approaching from the other side. Perfect. I tackled one wolf and Emmett got the other. 

Carlisle helped Esme up and they sprinted for the border. We were almost there.

I halted my step once they launched themselves over. They were safe. Now to go see if Jacob is safe too. I sprinted in the other direction passing the young wolves. If it were Paul or Jared they might have actually caught us. But these two are still pups. 

I heard them let off a lot of howls as I got closer to Jacob. They will be pissed off that they were tricked and I have to help my pack. I quickly phased back not missing a beat, slipping a loose top over my head and pulling on shorts as I approached the scene. I stopped by Leah's side and grabbed her hand.

"They made it" Jacob was shocked that I was here but glad to hear the news. 

"You played us!" Paul was pissed. They all were. I stepped up until I was in front of Jacob and looked at my old pack mates.

"Paul-" 

"Where's my son?"

"He's safe... He misses you" This only made him madder.

"He wouldn't have to if you didn't take him from me! First you choose the wrong side and then you drag our son along with you?" He shook his head at me "I will never forgive you for that" He turned and left in a huff with the others following him.

"Liv" Jacob pulled me to him and started walking back to the house "It'll be okay" I wish that were true...

Paul was right. I shouldn't have dragged Mason into this but I wasn't going to leave him behind. I needed to do what was right and set a good example for Mason. He is safe with the Cullen's, they won't let anything happen to him.