Chapter Two

Once the meeting was over, James smiled at me and said "Bye Lily". He had called me Lily. I mean, he just said it half an hour ago, but still. I said bye back, confused, and went back to my compartment.

Alice was there with Frank, and the were laughing and talking with each other. I sat down next to Frank, and Marilyn next to Alice.

"James is head boy, and Lily just can't hold in her happiness." Marilyn said.

"I am NOT happy. I can't believe he actually got head boy. Dumbledore MUST be off his rocker." I said.

"James is head boy? That's a bit funny, if you think about it." Said Alice, a grin growing on her face. I scowled.

"How could she think this is funny? You know I hate James." I said angrily.

"Oh, so its 'James' now?" She mocked me.

"Ugh, does it matter?"

"Now it does. After six years of 'Potter' you go to James in a blink of an eye. And, personally, I think he might have changed. I mean, he didn't ask you out for once. And he didn't seem rude during the meeting at all."

"I doubt it. He can't just change after six years of being a bully." I told her.
"Are you sure about that?"

•••

The train pulled up in hogsmade, and I tried to drag my trunk off, but then, once again, James Potter had took it from me and dropped it off to be taken up to our dorms.

"Thanks." I said.

"No problem, my Lady" He said, giving me that smile again, and winked. I walked with Alice, Marilyn, and we found an open carriage.

"I see Potter helped you again. I'm telling ya, he's different!" Marilyn teased.

"We'll see." I told her. Just then, there was a knock at the door. Marilyn opened it.

"Mind if we join you ladies?" Sirius Black asked. She looked back at me, and said, "Not at all."

She sat back down, and the three of them piled into the carriage, Sirius, James and Remus came into the carriage and sat across from me, Alice and Marilyn. James smiled at me, again, and for once, I smiled back. Marilyn gave me a look.

"Where's Peter?" I asked them.

"He got sick on the train, so Hagrid brought him up to Madam Pomfry" Sirius answered.

"Oh"

"So. How's it going on with you and Frank?" James asked Alice.

"Oh, we're good. We're getting pretty serious." She answered, smiling.

"Well, that's cool. And how are you Marilyn?"

"I'm good." She answered.

"Nice. Oh, and Evans, I forgot to ask you," Here it comes, I thought.

"Can I borrow your charms textbook? I totally forgot to get one in Diagon Alley."

"Oh, really? Yeah, sure you can borrow it, when do you need it?" I asked, grateful he didn't try to ask me out again.

"I have charms class on Tuesday. If that's when you have class, I can just ask someone else . . ."

"No, I do have charms on Tuesday, but I can just share with Alice." He smiled at me, again, and nodded.

We rode the rest of the way to the castle in silence, and once we got there, we all got out and walked into the castle together.

We all sat together, along with Frank, who had earlier gone to see his friends. We laughed and talked through the feast, until Dumbledore had gotten our attention for the speech he does every year.

"Students, welcome or welcome back to a hopefully a great year at Hogwarts! I will hope for you all to be comfortable and happy this year! Please, will the prefects please show the first years to your towers. Tut, tut!" He said.

As everyone but me and James and the other heads filed out of the great hall, James asked, "How do you like that me and you will be together on shifts?"

"I don't know. How about you?"

"Well, I'm really happy to be working with you. Your smart and good at this stuff." He said, giving me that smile once again. I smiled back.

•••

"Ok guys, the password is 'Nine and three quarters', alright?" I said, as many little excited, nervous and confident first years nodded. "And if you ever forget, come find me or James."

As we all went into the common room, I saw Alice, Frank, Marilyn, Sirius, Remus and Peter, Peter still looking a little green. They were all sitting around the fire, so open spots on the couch, for, who I'm guessing is for me and James. We sat down, and Marilyn looked at me with a smug look on her face.

"What?" I asked her.

"Nothing" She replied, still with that look on her face. Just then, Professor McGonagall walked in and said, "Mr. Potter and Ms. Evans, I can show you to your room."

"We have our own room?" Asked James, sounding shocked. She didn't respond and gestured for us to follow. She led us up a set of stairs I haven't ever seen before, down a hallway and to a portrait with a young looking woman sitting in a chair said, "What shall your new password be?"

"Password?" Asked James again.

"Yes, password. Now, what shall it be?" Asked McGonagall, sounding annoyed.

"Aguamenti" I answered. McGonagall looked at James, and he just nodded.
"Aguamenti it is." Said the lady. The portrait opened to show an a large room, with a small fireplace, a couch and some chairs, 4 sets of desks, shelves packed with books, and 2 different sets of stairs. Both mine and James's jaws dropped.

"This will be where you are staying for the year. Each set of stairs leads up to each of your separate rooms, which is where your trunks will be located." Said McGonagall, than left.

"I didn't know that the heads got their own common room." James said once McGonagall had left.

"Me neither" I said. "Well, I'm tired. I think I'm going to go up to bed." I told him.

"Lily, wait." James called after me. I stopped and turned around.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for being such a arrogant toerag over the years. I hope that things can change between us. And, I don't mean that I'm asking you out or anything, but maybe we can be friends." He said, a sad look on his face.

"Well, thanks for the apology, I appreciate it. And, yes, of course we can be friends. It seems that you've really changed." I reassured him. He smiled at me, with that smile that made me want to run up and kiss him . . . What? Lily, stop.

"Thanks Lily. And, I was wondering if you might want to go to hogsmade with me in a couple weeks? I mean, as friends." He said. I could hear the hope in his voice. I smiled.

"Of course! I'd love to." I said. And, once again the smile.