17. Something is Wrong✔

Anjali's POV

It had been a week since I had met Rahul or talked to him. He was neither answering my calls nor my messages. I went to his office but he was not there. Even Ajay bhai was not there. I have a strange feeling that something is not fine. I even went to Mehra Mansion but none of his family members was home. I don't even have anyone's​ number. The only option left is Vikram. So now, I am on my way to the Khanna Hotel.

Khanna Hotel

Parking my scooty, I hurried inside the hotel. Fortunately, I found Vikram at the entrance itself. He looks worried.

"Vikram."

Vikram - "Anjali, you here?"

"Yeah, Rahul isn't answering my calls since a week. I got worried. Had no other option than coming here. So.."

Vikram stared me for a second and then said, "Well, he won't answer your calls for a few days more."

"I am not asking till when he will not answer my call. I am asking if he is fine. I went to his office but he was not there. I even went to his house but could not meet anyone. I am worried. Is he fine?"

Vikram looked at me as if I was an alien.

"Will you stop staring at me?"

Vikram - "Ah! Sorry. You actually took so much pain to know his well-being?"

"I hope you remember that I love him? Will you tell me what's wrong?"

Vikram - "Actually, Vijay uncle had a heart attack. So, Rahul is busy with him."

"Minor or major?"

Vikram - "Major."

"Oh god! You are going to meet him, right? Take me with you."

Vikram - "Anjali."

He looked at me for some time then instructed one of his men to take my scooty to my home. I quickly informed everything to Mumma and went with Vikram in his car.

City Hospital

Vikram and I reached the hospital and immediately went to meet Vijay uncle. When we reached there, Mala aunty was crying while Nidhi di was consoling her. Nandini aunty and Reeta were trying to handle a crying Adi. Dilip uncle, Ajay bhai, Rahul and Rohit were looking tensed. Ajay bhai even had tears in his eyes. My eyes met Rahul's eyes. They were expressing pain.

Vikram immediately went to Rahul and asked, "What happened?"

Rahul - "Uncle had another heart attack just now. A minor one. Doctors are with him. They are not telling anything."

Oh my god! The situation is far worse than I imagined. I went to Mala aunty.

"Aunty please don't cry. You have to be strong."

She looked at me trying hard to stop her tears. I continued, "Aunty, my Mumma always says that a woman is the strength of the family. If she falls weak, then the family will lose its strength. You have to stay strong. You have to give strength to uncle to fight whatever it is. You have to give strength to Ajay bhai so that he can stay strong. See, even Adi is not liking the fact that his grandmother is falling weak. You have to be strong for him."

She looked at me. Nidhi di hugged her. 

Nandini aunty - "She is right bhabhi. You should be strong."

Mala aunty wiped her tears. I looked at Nidhi di. She was looking helpless. She looked at me and signalled towards Adi. I immediately went and took him in my arms. Nandini aunty went and sat with Mala aunty. I started cooing Adi, tickling him and playing with him. After some time, he stopped crying. Nidhi di heaved a sigh of relief.

A doctor came out and told that uncle was fine and we could see ​him one by one. Everyone went one by one while I walked around with Adi.

After some time, Nidhi di came to me with Mala aunty. Adi had slept by then.

Mala aunty - "You came as a blessing to us, beta? Who are you?"

Before I could answer her, Nidhi di spoke, "Consider her as you second daughter-in-law, Maa."

I blushed while Mala aunty looked at me and then Rahul and then gave a big smile.

Mala aunty - "It will be fun troubling Rahul."

I looked at her surprised and blushed while Nidhi di gave my complete introduction to her.

When the situation came under control, Vikram dropped me at my home. Mumma was worried about Rahul and his family. I told everything to her.

Later that night, Rahul called me.

Rahul - "Sorry Anjali, I could not talk to you for a week."

I could sense the fear in his voice. Maybe he related this situation to his past?? No way I'm letting his past destroy our future.

"Dare you to talk to me, Rahul. Your family needs you at this time. Go and spend time with them."

Rahul - "Everyone is sleeping," he chuckled. "Uncle will be discharged within two or three days. And aunty is after my life. Thanks to you."

"Thanks to Nidhi di."

Rahul - "And she told me, you did so. Bhabhi naa. Everyone is talking about you. Even mom. She is very happy."

When he started speaking to me I could hear him laughing. His lost smile is back. To keep him happy I would turn the world upside down.

"Wow. Great. Acha now you sleep. It's late. I will come to meet you. And please keep me updated."

Rahul - "Sure. Good night." He paused for a minute.

"Good night." I was waiting for his reply. Maybe he is trying to extend our conversation but we spoke nothing. We stayed silent for minutes. Hearing each others breath. Solace.

And then I slept, peacefully after a week.

_______________________________________________________

Why was Vikram staring Anjali? Has Anjali impressed Rahul's family? How will they react when they know? What do you think?

Please share your views. Don't forget to press the small star.

~Purnima