5

Lorelai walked through the front door to the Crap Shack the next morning. "I'm back!" She called.

"We're in the kitchen!" Charlotte called.

"Ok! So I couldn't make up my mind so I got both 'The Shining' and 'Bringing Up Baby.' Now, I know you're thinking that one's a movie about a homicidal parent and the other one's about...hello..." She said as she walked in and saw Sookie, Rory and Charlotte standing in front of the kitchen table.

"Hi." Sookie said with a nervous smile.

"Hi Mom." Rory smiled just as nervously.

"Ok, what did you break?" She joked.
"Nothing." Sookie said quickly.

"Well, the broiler. But this came for you and Max." She said as her, Rory and Charlotte moved out of the way revealing a wrapped present on the table.

"We're thinking it's a wedding present." Charlotte said quietly.

"Huh." Lorelai said checking the tag on it. "Yep. Lorelai Gilmore and Max Medina. Well, I guess news doesn't always travel fast."

"Are you going to open it?" Sookie asked.

"No." Lorelai said.

"But aren't you curious at all?" Sookie asked.

"No!" Lorelai said. "Just leave it there. I'll take it back tomorrow."

"But there's not a return address." Rory pointed out.

"Well isn't there a card with it?" Lorelai asked.

"Nope." Rory said. "Oh, maybe there's one inside."

"Rory..." Charlotte said.

"With the return address on it." Sookie added. "But that means you would have to open it to find out."

"You don't have to mom." Charlotte said.

"Why are you siding with her?" Rory asked Charlotte.

"Because this is obviously hard for her!" Charlotte pointed out.

"It's fine, give me a knife." Lorelai said trying to avoid an argument between her daughters. She cut open the package and then teared off the paper.

"Oh cool, an ice cream maker!" Rory exclaimed. Even Charlotte looked impressed.

"It's a Musso Lussino 480!" Sookie exclaimed excitedly.

"Somebody sent me a fascist ice cream maker?" Lorelai frowned.

"It's an Italian design with a stainless steel body and a chrome finish." Sookie exclaimed.

"And no card. Perfect." Lorelai sighed.

"Jackson just got in his apple crop! Ooh, we can make cider ice cream!" Sookie said.

"Yes we can. Using his ice cream maker." Lorelai said. "Il Duce here is going back."

"To where? Maybe it's an orphan." Rory said.

"An orphan ice cream maker?" Charlotte smirked.

" She's right. We would be giving it a home." Sookie said.

"Ok, once again, this is a wedding present." Lorelai said. "And seeing as I'm not getting married, it's against the rules for me to keep this."

"But isn't there a rule about late presents?" Charlotte asked coming round to the idea of the present seeing as what it was.

"Yeah!" Sookie exclaimed. "Like if it arrives after a certain date, you don't have to return it."

"Exactly!" Rory said.