CHAPTER 12

I left Milo's room and went downstairs. It was still dark outside. I made sure to keep quiet as I made my way through the house and to the kitchen. 

I made myself a hot coffee, which is probably a bad idea. But ever since I had one cup, I couldn't stop myself. 

Afterwards, I decided to go outside and sit in their luxurious outdoor furniture. I sat there looking out at the stars and I was breathless. It had been a while since I could sit in peace and watch the stars. I found myself forming the smallest of smiles on my lips, but a smile nonetheless. 

"Can't sleep either, huh?" 

I instantly tensed and my heart rate increased. I looked up over my shoulder and am met with dark blue eyes, almost black. Solomon. 

I silently nod my head. He plopped himself beside me and released a tired sigh. He looked up at the sky and he smirked. "I really shouldn't be surprised that you're out here looking at the stars," He looked back towards me, "You were in love with them. I still remember the times where I was half asleep because you would be talking about every scientific fact or theory about stars. Their distance from earth, what kind of stars there are, how you can tell between a planet and a star," he chuckles deeply, "You were a true fanatic."

I looked down at my hands. I wanted to smile or laugh, but I didn't. I wanted to, but I couldn't. I just sat in silence and looked at the night sky.

"How is Milo?" He asks me while looking up. It made it easier to talk with his eyes somewhere else.

"He's okay. I think he's just in a little bit of shock at how much freedom he has." I answered quietly

I saw Solomon's face fall slightly. His jaw was clenching. 

"If you don't mind me asking, what was his daily life like?"

I pondered on this. Was I comfortable answering this question? It was just a reminder of what I went through and what Milo went through. But then again...Solomon is his father. 
I sighed, "I would wake him up, make him breakfast, we would do our daily exercise so that he would still be healthy. He wasn't allowed to be outside or run around. And then we would have our bath. Then we would sometimes do some screams."

I saw Soul's face scrunch slightly in confusion, "Scream?" He questioned. 

"We would scream and wait to see if anyone would hear us," I stated like it was just a normal part of the routine, but I could see this pained Soul. 

"You guys would scream together and hope someone would come and find you?"

I nodded my head, "And then I would leave for the day and do my maid duties while I give Milo a set amount of books to read before I come. And then I ask him what he has learned for the day."

When I looked back at Solomon, he was staring back at me. But what surprised me was that I saw something in his eyes. Admiration. 

"You're a good mother, Ayla."

My eyes widen slightly. No one has ever told me that. I've always believed I tried my best, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm a good mother. I felt that familiar feeling of that ball getting caught in my throat when I try not to cry. I guess being told I was a good mother...it gave me an assurance that I did the best I could within my circumstances. 

"Th-thank you," I whispered shakily. Solomon's eyes soften. 

He leans forward, close to my face as if he was going to kiss me. I move back and frowned at him. But he shook his head softly and whispered, "It's not that kind of a kiss."

 I stay still as he moves closer to me and presses his lips to my forehead. I felt myself shake. I haven't been shown such affection for so long. I haven't been touched nicely for so long that having this small bit of affection for me, it was overwhelming. My vision blurred as my eyes pooled with unshed tears. My bottom lip quivered slightly, but even then, I tried to resist showing my true emotions. I was still protective of myself against him. Yet, having his adoration and admiration towards me, it felt so good. At that moment, it was like we were true mates.