CHAPTER 13

SOLOMON

 I was currently sitting at my desk in my bedroom looking at papers Noah gave me. Papers about the war that is to come soon. I was looking at all the areas Kendrick could easily attack. He could come at any day. 

I also had to organize a pack meeting in the grand hall. They needed to know that it wasn't safe yet. We don't have our peace yet. 

I look at the time and see that I needed to go to a meeting with Xander, Noah, and Eddie. We had to discuss the plans for this war. We had to prepare. 

AYLA

"Milo, it's time to sleep. it's late and you need to wake up early."

Milo groans, "But 'm a big boy now, Ma. I can stay up later now."

I pull his blanket over, "No Baba. Even Big boys listen to their Mamas. Xavier listens to his mama, Kieth listens to his Mama. Are you going to listen to your Mama?"

Milo sat there thinking about it and then nods his head, "I'm a big boy."

"Yes, you are. Now hop into bed, baba." He climbs into bed and I grab the blanket and tuck him. 

I kiss his forehead, "Good night, my love." I whisper. I get and am about to turn off the light.

"Wait, Ma!" I turn to him and he is sitting up, "I'm not even tired. Can you sing to me?"

He hasn't asked me to sing to him ever since we got here. It reminded me of all the nights he would have to sleep in the closet, so then he wouldn't see the horrible things Kendrick did whenever he came around.

I sat next to Milo and run my hands through his hair as I began to sing the song that had brought him comfort since the day he was born...

"One evening when the sun went down and the jungle fire burning..."

His eyes slowly closed and his breath became even by the time I finish the song. I was always jealous of how fast he could fall asleep while I stayed up paranoid that Kendrick would burst through the door. 

I lean and kiss his forehead, "Good night, Baba."

I quietly get up from the bed and went to the door. I look at him through the cracks of the door as I close it slowly until it is completely closed.

I turn around and I freeze when I see Solomon was sitting right next to the door.

His eyes were closed and his head was leaning against the wall.

"Solomon?" I whisper.

His eyes open slowly and they turn to me.

"What're you doing?"

My heart was racing when his eyes stared at me with longing.
"I was listening." He replied quietly.

"To me?"

He nods silently and looks at the ceiling, "I would listen to you sing even back when you were in the Attic.  I didn't even know it was you, but it calmed me. I see now why. It was you singing."

I gulped. I looked away from his longing gaze and I walked past him to my room. As I was about to close, when a hand stops it.

"Ayla wait!" Solomon intervened.

I looked at him and I glared, "Don't Solomon. Just stop...please."

I could tell through his eyes he wanted to say so much, he wanted to fix his wrongs.

"Please Ayla. Can't we just talk?"

I opened the door wide and stand up straight, "You have no right to ask me something like that," I scowled deeply at him. I was in rage, "What happened when I just 'wanted to talk,' you wanted nothing to do with me because you hated me for some crazy reason."