CHAPTER 34

AYLA

We separated breathlessly. I couldn't stop looking at his face. Solo cupped my face and he smiled down at me. 

"I can't believe I'm touching you right now."

I smiled through my tears and laughed, "I know. It doesn't seem real, does it."

Solo wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me completely against him. As I stare at him, I didn't see the bad that he's done anymore. I didn't any of it and I was so relieved. I was so scared that I couldn't look past his mistakes, but seeing him...I can. 

I looked down and said, "I'm sorry, Solomon...I...I should have realised earlier th-that-"

"Ssshh," Solo cut me off. I looked up and he was serious as he talked, "You don't have to apologise at all, Ayla. This whole thing, this mess, the reason we haven't seen each other in almost year...it's the result of what I did. This is all on me."

"But I was so hard on you. I was so mean, I d-didn't-"

He shook his head, "I deserved every bit of your hate. I prepared myself to accept the fact that you may hate me forever and I can't justify myself. But the fact that you do forgive me and that you came back to me...it's a gift that I don't deserve at all. So don't, Ayla."

I sighed and nodded my head. I looked up at the stars and I smiled, "Look."

Solomon chuckled and looked up, "They seem more beautiful with you here."

My cheeks redden. I heard Solomon laughs, "I see I still effect you."

I roll my eyes, "Whatever."

Solomon chuckles. A breeze wisps over our skin, causing my skins to raise in a chill. Solomon noticed. I smiles down at me and said, "You're cold, let's get back where I can get dry next to the fire and you can get warm."

I smiled softly and nodded my head, "I'd like that."

He wraps an arm around me shoulder and pulls me against his naked chest as we walked down back to the camp. 

***

Everyone was still asleep. I wanted to go and wake up Milo, but I thought better to leave him to sleep. He's had a full on couple of days. He deserves a night of peace. 

As I sit at the fire, Solomon comes out of the tent wearing a fresh set of clothes, but with no shirt at all. My heart skips a beat as I behold all of him. He is one attractive bastard. As I look at him, I felt as if I was a teenage girl looking at the man of her dreams. 

He walks towards me and catches me staring. He winks at me before taking his seat. We both sit in silence, looking at the fire. I think we were both overwhelmed at the fact that we were here...together. I guess it is a lot to take in. 

"So you came to Italy." I said quietly without taking my eyes off the fire. From my peripheral vision, I saw him nod his head. 

He scratched the back of his head as he said defeated,"Yeah I did. In my head, I thought I could've convinced you to come back with me and we would try be a family again. But when I saw how happy you were...I knew I couldn't take that away from you."

I listened to him talk. But with every word he said, it hurt my heart. I made him suffer so much. Even though he deserved, now that I am with him, I felt a little guilty. 

"I wasn't happy." I stated. My eyes left the fire and locked them with Solomon's. His brows glued together in confusion. I sighed and said, "I was trying to convince myself that I was, that I could have that life. An ordinary life. But deep down, I knew that I couldn't because I haven't moved on from the past."

Solomon leans in and asked, "What caused you to come back?"

I chuckled quietly, "Believe it or not it was actually a guy that caused me to come back."

"What do you mean a guy?" Solomon asks sharply, "Did he do something to you? Did he mistreat you?" It felt nice seeing Solomon getting all protective over me, it felt like old times again. 

I shook my head, "No. He helped me see clearly. He gave me wisdom. And he made me think. The night I realised that I forgave you was a painful night," As I was reliving it, I felt tears sting my eyes, "I was crying so much," my voice began to break, "I was crying because I felt like I was grieving. I was grieving over everything that I've lost. I was thinking of all of our memories we made together and how everything was just so good. But it hurt so much thinking of them because I wasn't that girl anymore," My unshed tears fell down my face. I looked down in my lap and took a deep breath. I looked back up to Solomon, "But even though I'm not her anymore, she still in here," Pressing my hand over my chest, "She's still a part of me, Solomon. I hope you know that this won't be easy. I'm still messed up and broken, but if you are willing to do this journey with me...then I am willing to give this my all."

I sat there waiting for him to say something. He leans in and grabs a hold of my hand, "I didn't jump off that boat blind. I didn't swim across that whole lake not knowing what I was getting myself into. I climbed up this mountain because as long as I'm going through hardship with you...it's worth it," Solo leans in and stares at me straight in the eyes and said, "I promise you, Ayla, that I will spend the rest of my life, loving you, cherishing you, taking care of you and protecting you. I will never ever leave you."

Solomon pulls me into his lap and I let him. I lean my head against his chest. I couldn't help falling asleep. This was the first time I've felt so complete. I felt like my heart, my soul has found it's other half.

I cuddled deeper into Solomon and sighed in content, "This is the first time I've felt like this in so long."

"Like what?" 

"At peace."