CHAPTER 23

AYLA

After Abbie's talk, I felt better. I had a plan. Having a solid plan made me feel...content. I felt at peace as I prepare for bed. Milo was already fast asleep. I gave hima kiss goodnight and went outside the tent to make sure everything was properly prepared for tomorrow morning. I went over to the camp fire and grabbed a basket to put all of our washing in when I heard someone walking. I looked over my shoulder to see Mia making her towards me. Placing a hand over her stomach. 

I greeted her with a smile, "Hey."

She sat down and gave a tired smile, "Hey, Ayla."

"What're you doing up this late? Shouldn't you be resting."

She waves her hand, dismissing the time of night it is, "I don't care right now. I actually came to talk to you."

"Oh...did you need something?" I asked. 

She shook her head, "No," Her eyes slightly wondered off, deep in thought before she softly said, "I just wanted you to know that you're not alone."

I raised my brows in surprise. 

"I've seen you put a smile on your face," she continued, "But I recognize that kind of smile...it's the kind of smile you do when you're slowing breaking a little more inside."

I gulped. I felt a little nervous because she was right on the spot with that one, "Why do you say that?" I asked gently, trying to not seem harsh. 

Her eyes droop down and that's when saw it. Pain and suffering. She was reflecting everything I was feeling, "Because it was the exact same smile I taught myself to do for years."

"Why are you telling me this, Mia?"

She gulped and looked up at me from her lap, "Because, I didn't have anyone who understood me. I was completely alone. And I don't want you to go through the same thing. Back at the tent, you thought this war was just for you, but it's not. It's for me as well. It's for all of us. Kendrick has left his mark on every one of us," she looked down at her lap and said quietly, "Some more than most."

I lean forward and place my hand over her's, "What mark had Kendrick left on you?"

She paled slightly and her breathing became shaky, "He's my uncle."

My eyes widen in shock, "Kendrick is your uncle?"

Mia nodded, "My parents died and so I was left in his care. He didn't pay much attention to me until I hit puberty. I developed faster than most girls, concerning womanly parts, he noticed. He began to pull me into his lap saying I was his favorite. But it got so bad...that he dragged me down to this awful basement and forced me to do everything...except penetration."

He was more of a monster than I thought he was. How could he do that to his own niece? I lean in more, wanting her to know I was here and that I was listening. she took a deep breath as she continued, "When he was about to...force his way into me, his mate came in. I remember being so happy, but then, he blamed it on me. Saying I seduced him. And of course, she believed it. She banished me at the age of fifteen. I was alone for six years because of him," Her tearful eyes met mine. Her bottom lip was quivering when she said, "I just want you to know...that you're not alone, Ayla. You're not alone at all."

My own tears welled in my eyes. It felt good to know that someone understands me. Someone who doesn't judge me because they went through similar things. I pulled Mia into a tight hug, "Thank you," I whispered to her.  I felt her nod her head. 

I pull back and smiled, "Thank you for telling me. You have no idea how much you've helped me." 

She smiles back, "You're welcome."